Using the starter kit RRS feed

• Question

• User-823544166 posted

I'm trying to modify the club starter kit.  I've opened VB, and now I have no idea how to get the kit into VB to modify it. There are no instructions on how to actually use the starter kit.  I'm new to this and just want to know what files in the starter kit are being brought in?  The starter kit zip file contains a large amount of files with extensions I'm not familiar with.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Am I bringing the kit folder and it's contents into the folder created when I downlowed VB?  I'm familiar with FrontPage and Dreamweaver.  These programs recognize their own files.  When I opened VB then opened the starter kit folder nothing was there as if none of the files were compatible.  Thanks        

Thursday, April 3, 2008 10:52 AM

All replies

• User1383420261 posted

After you've installed the Club Web Site Starter Kit, you'll see a project template available in the "My Templates" section of the New Web Site dialog. So to get there, do this from Visual Studio:

File --> New Web Site

You will see a section called "My Templates" and the starter kit will be listed there. Click on the starter kit, fill in the details below (location of the site, etc.) and you are off and running. Studio will create you a solution to work from and you can make mods there.

Hope this helps...

Thursday, April 3, 2008 11:48 AM
  • User-823544166 posted

I use firefox, and firefox saves files on my desktop as a default.  I tried to find where that file should go but had no idea where.  Should I try and find the folder you are speaking of and drop it in there?  That template is not listed there so where do I go from here?

Thursday, April 3, 2008 12:34 PM
  • User1383420261 posted

Just run the .vsi from wherever FireFox saves it (desktop or other). This will install the template and it will then be visible in the way that I explained earlier.

Darrin

Friday, April 4, 2008 10:02 AM
  • User-823544166 posted

I tried something else and it worked. 

For those of you who may be asking my question, I'll answer it for you. 

Download the starter kit

Open Visual Basic Express Edition 2008

Go to file

Open File

Click on Projects and your starter kit folder should be listed there.  Mine was clubsite

from there I have no idea where to begin so I'm watching the videos to see if I can figure it out.  as I figure it out I will post for other novice users

I realized I need Visual Web Developer instead 

Joyce 

Friday, April 4, 2008 10:32 AM
  • User-823544166 posted

OK I downloaded Visual Web Developer and opened the starter kit.  But again the same issue.  A huge numbers of files, what is their relationship?  How do they communicate to make a site.  Is there any documentation to explain the hierarchy.  I don't understand the logic behind asp.net.  can anyone explain it simply?

Friday, April 4, 2008 11:55 AM
  • User1383420261 posted

Not sure what your background is, but in short, ASP.NET is much different than Classic ASP. Classic code is an interpreted language, whereas .NET is compiled into assemblies. You will notice files with ASPX extensions. This is your UI "container". Each of those ASPX files will also have a .vb or .cs, depending on the language being used. This is known as a code behind page. This was done to provide a clear seperation of the UI from the coding logic. I could go on and on, but I would simply recommend starting at http://www.asp.net/get-started/ . There you will find some overview information and lots of videos on how to get started. You might consider buying a book on ASP.NET as well. There are tons of great titles out there, but I prefer those from Wrox and APress.

Darrin

Saturday, April 5, 2008 9:56 AM
  • User-823544166 posted

I'm familiar with Dreamweaver and Front Page.   Thanks for the information.  I guess when asp.net says in their video's how easy it is, they are speaking from an experienced perspective not a novice.  I'm going to watch those videos and hope something clicks but thanks for your time on this.  I thought the starter kit with the full site ready to go would be easy, but it looks like a pile of files and no relationship.  In Dreamweaver it has intuitive structure that groups everything together.  And I took a website from Front Page already created into Dreamweaver to learn it.  I want to learn, so I will, it will just not be easy or take a short period of time.  But at least I know that now.  Thanks! 

Saturday, April 5, 2008 10:59 AM
  • User1383420261 posted

The starter kit is a running application. When you are in your IDE (Visual Web Dev Express, or Visual Studio), click the play button. This should take care of compiling and running the application locally. If you run into any other problems, Google your specific problem and you'll likely find that someone has experienced the same issue. You can also post back here and I'll help you out.

Darrin

Saturday, April 5, 2008 11:05 AM
  • User-808488322 posted

Joyce,

You never said what your programming experience is.  To fully understand all these files you need to understand the .Net framework and you need to have a background in Visual Basic.Net or C#.  I have been studying VB.Net for awhile and I can'r really dissect all the code yet, but I am getting there.

Millard

Monday, April 14, 2008 9:50 AM
  • User-1887695735 posted

I am a VB Dot Net developer, mostly windows forms, so I am familiar with the IDE ( Visual Studio ).  I extracted the files to a folder, then opened Visual Studio, not Express but I think Express works the same, and in the Recent Projects box, I clicked on Web Site beside the Create: label.  That opened a form with a bunch of icons.  I chose ASP .NET Web Site.  I left the location as File System and the language as Visual Basic.  Then I used the browse button to locate where I had put the files.  When you click on the folder name, you should see the folders for App_Code, App_Data and such under that.  Then click on the Open button.  That should do it.

I am using Express at home, but am also trying to learn something about ASP.NET here at work and here I have the full Visual Studio.  If it does not work that way in Express, post back a question and I will see if I can find the answer when I get home.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 12:06 PM
  • User-812327097 posted

I was having the same issue and fixed it by following your advice, many thanks!

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 1:33 AM
  • User1280641825 posted

Any one tell me what is username and password for Admin

User name  Admin      Admin            Admin

Password    admin      1.admin.1        admin123

these are not working

Regards,

ValliKishore 

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:50 AM
  • User-812327097 posted

I had the same issue and have so far been unable to find the documentation anywhere online. In the end I went into the ASP Configuration page (from solution explorer in VS2008) then within "Security" created a new user "admin2" as an Administrator with a new password and it works fine. You could also delete the admin user and re-add I guess.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 11:43 AM