Links don't work from search results RRS feed

• Question

• I have an on premise Sharepoint 2013 Foundation installation. It's just a standalone setup, one server with database and application server. Recently the search result links don't work. I have set up a separate web application for the basic search center. The links that begin with file://servername/share don't work but the links to a other web application on the same server works fine. These links start with https://. The weird thing is that it also prompts for username and password when I go to the search center site, usually it auto logins when I go to the site. The address starts with http://servername:port. I have set Browser File Handling to Permissive. As always any help is much appreciated.   
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:50 AM

Answers

• Hi Jan,

Please add the site to trusted sites in IE and then check if the links can be clicked.

Best regards,

Victoria

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 8:18 AM

All replies

• Hi Jan,

Did you mean you cannot open the files in the file shares when clicking the links for files in file shares in search results?

I recommend to type the URL of the links directly in the browser to see if the files can be opened.

If not, please make sure that the users have at least read permission on the file shares folder on the server.

If you do not want users to type the user name and password when accessing the site, I recommend to add the site to trusted sites in Internet Explorer(IE) and select Automatic logon with current user name and password in IE.

https://wikis.utexas.edu/display/sharepoint/Automatic+Logins+-+Internet+Explorer

Best regards,

Victoria

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 6:31 AM
  • Hi Victoria,

the links seem okay. If I copy-paste them then IE downloads the file. But I can't seem to click on the link in the search results, but if i copy-paste the link it downloads the file. Although it would be better to open the file instead of downloading it. Can it be something that the Sharepoint server doesn't have the right permissions to the fileserver ? Or is this irrelevant ? 

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 7:44 AM
  • Hi Jan,

Please add the site to trusted sites in IE and then check if the links can be clicked.

Best regards,

Victoria

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 8:18 AM
  • Hi Jan,

How is everything going?

Is there anything update about this issue?

Best regards,

Victoria

Sunday, May 17, 2015 9:48 AM
  • Hi,

sorry for the very late reply. But yes got it working now. Added the site via GPO so that users trust the site and it seems to be working now. Thank you very much ! :)

Thursday, August 13, 2015 8:11 AM