What makes Offline Files go offline? RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a difficult time finding an answer to a question, probably because it uses the word 'offline' twice...so sorry if this has been asked before. I also apologize for this ending up in a random forum, but none of the options presented for category were even close.

I am trying to troubleshoot an error on my network. We have laptop users set up to use offline file caching. Randomly throughout the day their computer will tell them they are now working offline. We have several folders redirected, in particular the folder containing .pst files for Outlook. Outlook will crash or have serious problems, documents get lost, all kinds of issues happen. When in the office, all laptops sit on a docking station with a physical cable connecting them to our network (we don't have WiFi at all). I haven't discovered any problems with our switching fabric or power, so I don't believe the computers are actually 'offline' or unable to reach the network when this happens. There seems to be just one small condition or timeout or heartbeat that Windows XP isn't happy with, so it goes offline all the time.

So the real question: What trigger causes the computer to believe it has gone offline? If I can figure out what makes it think that, hopefully I can fix that error or maybe modify the timer in some way.

Suggestions are appreciated, but I'd really really love to know the specific answer to what makes the computer go offline.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:48 PM

Answers

• Surely it's not a power setting problem. Various reasons may trigger this problem. The router, the twisted pair, or the hub.

Would you please re-post this question to Microsoft Answers with detailed information?

Kun Li

STO Application Support

Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:59 AM