none
Published Form help RRS feed

• Question

• I built a form application for my business and went through the publishing process. Once published I got the .exe and .application files. I ran the .exe file on the computer to use the application and it opened successfully. When I came back later to demonstrate it, there was no shortcut to open the application and the .exe file gave me "You cannot start application xxxx from this location because it is already installed from a different location." How can i get the application on my desktop so it will open through a shortcut?
    Thursday, February 1, 2018 3:52 AM

Answers

• I built a form application for my business and went through the publishing process. Once published I got the .exe and .application files. I ran the .exe file on the computer to use the application and it opened successfully.

You can't just copy and run the EXE.   The publish process creates an installer that uses Setup.  Run Setup to install the app.  That will give the a start menu item.

• Marked as answer by Pilot160 Thursday, February 1, 2018 4:22 AM
    Thursday, February 1, 2018 4:17 AM

All replies

• I built a form application for my business and went through the publishing process. Once published I got the .exe and .application files. I ran the .exe file on the computer to use the application and it opened successfully.

You can't just copy and run the EXE.   The publish process creates an installer that uses Setup.  Run Setup to install the app.  That will give the a start menu item.

• Marked as answer by Pilot160 Thursday, February 1, 2018 4:22 AM
    Thursday, February 1, 2018 4:17 AM
  • Thanks! I found the start menu item and moved it to the desktop. Is there a way to change the icon of this? I didn't see the normal selection in the properties.
    Thursday, February 1, 2018 4:23 AM
  • Thanks! I found the start menu item and moved it to the desktop. Is there a way to change the icon of this? I didn't see the normal selection in the properties.
    Your icon for the published application shold be part of the project.  See:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/339stzf7.aspx

Thursday, February 1, 2018 5:17 AM