Extraction issues with SP2013 April CU RRS feed

• Question

• Hey People,

has anyone else noticed that the April CU takes ages to extract?

I'm running a comparitive extract on my desktop at the momement, but on my server VM it took about 1.5 hours to extract the 1200 odd files (about 2.2gig). By comparison, the March PU takes less than 50 seconds to extract 33 files, totalling about 1.6gig.

Somethings not right.

I'm looking at the disk IO on my PC, and the read rate is through the roof, averaging > 400Megabytes/Sec, which is phenominal for a 160gig 7200rpm drive, so it must be just hitting the cache.

A comparitive test on my desktop:

• March PU took about 50 seconds to extract 33 files totalling about 1.65 gig.
    • April CU tool 1 hour 16 minutes to extract 1205 files totalling about 1.17 gig.

I've also noticed that the progress bar doesn't work while it's extracting.

Anyone else seeing this or have I managed to download a dud copy?

Oh and one last thing, after downloading the 462705_intl_x64_zip.exe, I noticed that it contains two files, the normal ubersrv2013-kb2726992-fullfile-x64-glb.exe and an ubersrv_1.cab. The cab was somewhat unexpected.

Thanks
    Craig

• Edited by Craig Humphrey Tuesday, April 30, 2013 4:28 AM added desktop extract comparison test results
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 3:32 AM

All replies

• I didn't have this issue. However, I am experiencing another problem because I installed the Foundation Update first and then the Server, when I guess you just do one or the other...

http://blogs.technet.com/b/stefan_gossner/archive/2013/04/27/april-2013-cu-for-sharepoint-2013-has-been-released.aspx

KS

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 3:28 PM
  • has anyone else noticed that the April CU takes ages to extract?

I'm seeing the exact same thing. Very slow self-extract, when unzipping the file with 7-Zip it is done in a couple of minutes. Also the seemingly useless cab file. Could this be the version that caused this update to be delayed? :-(

Gerard

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 4:13 PM
  • The cab file isn't useless, it does contain other updates not included in the primary package file.

I ran the CU with /extract while watching process monitor, and it appears just about for every file (or couple files), it reads the entire exe, extracts, reads the entire exe, extracts, etc.

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP
    MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:46 PM
  • All the files in the CAB are already in the EXE.

The only differences I can see (I haven't done a binary compare) is that the dates in the CAB file are 12 hours BEFORE those in the EXE.

I also noticed that all but one of the files in the CAB are locale related, though only some locales are represented.  While 14 of the 15 non-locale related files in the EXE are not in the CAB.

I wonder if a locale related issue was picked up at the last minute, though that doesn't explain why the versions are the same, or why the date is 12 hours earlier...

Hmmm maybe they had to roll back to a build that was run 12 hours earlier?

Still, the extraction performance is abysmal!

MS: How about retracting the April CU (at least for full SP Server, I haven't checked the Foundation/ProjectServer editions) and rebuilding the EXE?

Note: Anacdotally I've heard the files are binary identical...

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:47 PM
  • They're actually not.  If you use 7-Zip to extract the ubersrv2013-kb2726992-fullfile-x64-glb.exe, you can copy the files contained in ubersrv_1.cab directly into the exe directory when using 7-Zip.  The ubersrv2013 exe contains the xml, for example acsrvmui-bg-bg.xml, but not acsrvmui-bg-bg.msp.  The msp, in this case, is located in the cab file.

This isn't true for every file, but it is true for the 126 msps contained within the cab file.  Also see:

http://sharepoint.nauplius.net/2013/04/slow-sharepoint-2013-april-2013-cumulative-update-extraction/

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:07 PM
  • They're actually not.  If you use 7-Zip to extract the ubersrv2013-kb2726992-fullfile-x64-glb.exe, you can copy the files contained in ubersrv_1.cab directly into the exe directory when using 7-Zip.  The ubersrv2013 exe contains the xml, for example acsrvmui-bg-bg.xml, but not acsrvmui-bg-bg.msp.  The msp, in this case, is located in the cab file.

This isn't true for every file, but it is true for the 126 msps contained within the cab file.

OK, confirmed, the cab files contains 126 msp files not contained in the cab file, but when you run the exe to apply the update, does it use the ubersrv_1.cab? If not, then the file is still useless, because you cannot slipstream this CU because it overwrites PU msp files which it requires to be already installed.

Gerard

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:29 PM
  • Yes, the files are used.

And no, you cannot slipstream this CU (or likely any CU prior to the release of SP1).  Brian is working on a work-around for this issue with AutoSPInstaller.

-----------------------

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:31 PM
  • My bad, the EXE files I was comparing with were from /extract, which must have pulled them from the CAB.
    • Marked as answer by Qiao Wei Sunday, May 5, 2013 8:11 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Trevor SewardMVP Sunday, May 5, 2013 4:22 PM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:47 PM
  • My bad, the EXE files I was comparing with were from /extract, which must have pulled them from the CAB.

I feel an "Unmarked As Answer" coming up.. ;-)

Seriously Qiao..

Gerard

Sunday, May 5, 2013 8:43 AM
  • Yup, my existance comparison was not the issue raised. Thanks Trevor for unmarking before I did.

It's about time MS/MSDN supported a SharePoint forum, so things like this can get resolved...

The non-slipstream gotcha is a bit of an issue too...

Sunday, May 5, 2013 9:00 PM
  • I believe I had a corrupted file. I downloaded the CU another time and everything ran smoothly. However, the extract to a very long time as mentioned above. Regardless, it to finish extracting and worked properly.

KS

Monday, May 6, 2013 3:48 PM
  • Brian released an update to AutoSPInstaller yesterday that works around the update/extraction issue:

https://autospinstaller.codeplex.com/releases/view/38568

-----------------------

Monday, May 6, 2013 6:32 PM
  • Does anyone know what the install order is?  Can you install SP1, then April CU, then psconfig?  Or do you need to install SP1, psconfig, april cu, psconfig?
    Monday, May 19, 2014 4:35 PM
  • SP1, April, then psconfig should work just fine.

Trevor Seward

Follow or contact me at...

Monday, May 19, 2014 4:38 PM
  • Thanks, it seemed to I just wanted to double check.
    Monday, May 19, 2014 4:39 PM