VS 2017 and Unicode RRS feed

• Question

• On page

Link

I see to install MFC MBCS DLL Add on

“Visual Studio 2017 and later: The Unicode and MBCS MFC DLLs are installed with the Desktop development with C++ workload when you select MFC and ATL support from the Optional Components pane in the Visual Studio Installer program. If your installation does not include these components, navigate to the File | New Projects dialog and click the Open Visual Studio Installer link. For more information, see Install Visual Studio.”

Except there is no Optional Components pane and there is no MFC and ATL support anywhere to be found.

So how do I install this Add on for VS2017?

Wednesday, July 22, 2020 12:37 PM

Answers

• The MFC MBCS DLL Add-on was only for VS2013.

Run the Visual Studio Installer.  For your installed version of Vs2017 select "Modify".

Make sure that the "Desktop development with C++" workload is selected.  Expand the components on the right side of the window.

The following screenshot highlights where MFC is selected.  Note that ATL is also selected separately.

Wednesday, July 22, 2020 1:10 PM

All replies

• The MFC MBCS DLL Add-on was only for VS2013.

Run the Visual Studio Installer.  For your installed version of Vs2017 select "Modify".

Make sure that the "Desktop development with C++" workload is selected.  Expand the components on the right side of the window.

The following screenshot highlights where MFC is selected.  Note that ATL is also selected separately.

Wednesday, July 22, 2020 1:10 PM
  • I write drivers so I use Visual Studio Community. 

MFC is not available for Visual Studio Community. 

I was looking at a performance testing MFC application for helping me monitor driver performance, The option is there to install MFC however it does not work with Visual Studio Community. 

Thank you for taking the time to answer. 

Thursday, July 30, 2020 4:44 PM
  • I write drivers so I use Visual Studio Community. 

MFC is not available for Visual Studio Community.

Absolutely not so.  MFC is available for the Community versions and I have it installed in VS2017 and VS2015 and use it in both.

Have you tried in a VS Community version that does NOT have a WDK installed?

• Edited by RLWA32 Thursday, July 30, 2020 5:31 PM
    Thursday, July 30, 2020 5:30 PM
  • You are correct. It is the Express edition that does not include MFC. 

Thursday, July 30, 2020 5:33 PM
  • IIRC, the WDK addon forces the compiler to use the spectre mitigated libraries. So you would need to add these. They are under the Individual Components part of Visual Studio setup.

While this is for 2019, you should be looking for a similar thing in 2017.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

Thursday, July 30, 2020 5:49 PM