locked
Silverlight 'Hello World' will not display on server RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi, After developing a silverlight splash page, I could not get it to run on my server even though it ran on the localhost. So I decided to try a 'helloworld' level app to determine if the problem is the server. Still no joy on the server but it runs fine on localhost. The page loads fine and gives no errors, but does not display. Server MS2003, asp.net version 3.5, IIS, asp vs 3.0 Page location: http://lbpplans.com/lbp/default.html debug set to false in web.config At this point I need a direction to look in. Thanks, Stan
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 7:50 PM

Answers

  • Well . . . I guess it was an ID10T 'idiot' error. Server uses Helm as its CP.  When I setup the 'hosting package' I did set the ASP.net version to 2, 3.5 framework, but it did not execute on the new domain.  When I looked at the error I first posted, it listed the service as 1.1.  So I changed the version on the individual domain and . . . it worked fine.  DAUH.

     Thanks for all the help guys.

     Stan

    Monday, January 18, 2010 4:47 PM

All replies

  • There may be following

    1: MIME Tags :

    The error maybe due to MIME types. You will have to add the following MIME types:

    .xaml    application/xaml+xml
    .xap    application/x-silverlight-app
    .xbap    application/x-ms-xbap

    2. Source .xap file check you .xap file is correct:

    <param name="source" value="/ClientBin/MySilverlightApp.xap"/>

    3. follow all steps need for IIS settings for Silverlight app:

    http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/262/configuring-iis-for-silverlight-applications/

    Sunday, January 17, 2010 11:19 PM
  •  Hey..Serambin

    It could be that your hosting service does not yet support the .xaml mime-type(Silverlight Mime type)

    You have to declare silverlight MIME type to Your Hosting server control panel..

    Extension: .xap
    MIME Type: application/x-silverlight-app

    check out this...

    http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/archive/2008/03/18/configuring-a-web-server-to-host-silverlight-content.aspx

    Regards
    Viral Patel

    Sunday, January 17, 2010 11:25 PM
  • Hi,

    I've set the mime types on the wwwroot for the domain, however I do not have the option of setting them on the subdomain.  I hope the subdomain will inherit.

    I have a support ticket in for checking the mime types on the server.

    Thanks,

     Stan

    Monday, January 18, 2010 1:51 AM
  • Running Fiddler http://www.fiddler2.com/fiddler2/ can give you more visibility into what is happening and can confirm if you are getting an HTTP error when trying to download the XAP.

    Monday, January 18, 2010 11:29 AM
  • Okay,

    In Fiddler, I see a 500 error.  Searching the forum I ran into this:

    Re: Silverlight call to Web Service throws a HTTP 500 error.

    12-19-2009 10:59 AM |

     

    Actually the problem was that the firebug was showing a "HTTP 500: Internal Server Error" and no response from the server. Now when I log into server and check the W3C logs, HTTP.SYS logs or the event logs for application, I dont have any information to debug. Thats where I was struck. Also I am unable to reproduce the issue when I run the same application in my local machine.

    As Ken has rightly pointed out above, I also came to the conclusion that this is some application error wherein the service call is not able to invoke the necessary service. (Sad part is there are no logs I could find to point what is wrong!!).

    When I checked the Web.config, I found that the end point contract was pointing to an interface (serviceroot.interface) wherein this file was physically present inside another sub-directory of the service root. I moved this interface file from the sub-directory and placed it in service root and re-published the service and it worked like charm !  

    _____________________________

    I have not heard back from tech support, but I will try and run down the service locations.

     

    Stan

    Monday, January 18, 2010 4:13 PM
  • Well . . . I guess it was an ID10T 'idiot' error. Server uses Helm as its CP.  When I setup the 'hosting package' I did set the ASP.net version to 2, 3.5 framework, but it did not execute on the new domain.  When I looked at the error I first posted, it listed the service as 1.1.  So I changed the version on the individual domain and . . . it worked fine.  DAUH.

     Thanks for all the help guys.

     Stan

    Monday, January 18, 2010 4:47 PM