Create roleAssignment fails with error "Tenant ID, application ID, principal ID, and scope are not allowed to be updated" RRS feed

• Question

• I try to create a roleAssignment for my servicePrincipal in the scope of subscriptions. I use a token which is owned by a Global Admin of the Azure AD, this user is also subscriptions-Owner of the targeted subscriptions. 

When I call 

PUT https://management.azure.com/subscriptions/###...###/providers/Microsoft.Authorization/roleAssignments/##..roleId..##?api-version=2015-07-01 

It works well for the first subscription, the second call gets the following error

{
      "error": {
        "code": "RoleAssignmentUpdateNotPermitted",
        "message": "Tenant ID, application ID, principal ID, and scope are not allowed to be updated."
      }
    }

This happens then wit all subscriptions. When I remove the roleAssignment in Azure Management Portal which was created in the first call, it works after a couple seconds (I guess 30 up 60) with a different subscription. 

I don't understand how to assign the Reader for my servicePrincipal for all Subscriptions a user has "Write" access to?

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 7:10 AM

All replies

• Hello,

We are researching on the query and would get back to you soon on this.
    I apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your time and patience in this matter.

Regards,
    Neelesh
    Wednesday, December 23, 2015 2:36 PM
  • Hello Neelesh,

did you find something regarding this. The Azure Management Portal allows me to do this manually so I gues their must be a trick or something I do wrong using the API.

Thanks
    Dirk

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 7:02 PM
  • Hi Dirk,

The error occurs if the ##..roleId..## part in the URL:

PUT https://management.azure.com/subscriptions/###...###/providers/Microsoft.Authorization/roleAssignments/##..roleId..##?api-version=2015-07-01

is not unique. Make sure you pass an unique GUID for every new role assignment.

Regards,

Fiko

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 4:29 PM