Difference between visual studio project file and solution file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I need to know the difference between project file and solution file.

I referred to these links.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/b142f8e7(VS.71).aspx
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wbzbtw81(VS.71).aspx

I created a new website using file=>new=> website and then it said it created one project under the solution.
    Then i went through the path (which is D:\eAppsTEST\test_projectfile - i specifically gave this path)of it to find the project file but it was not there. There was app.data, defual and default.aspx.cs and web file instead.

Then I went through another path which is (C:\Documents and Settings\jayaniw\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\test_projectfile) i could find .sln and .suo file. I know that .sln is the solution file.

Why there are two different places to save this website? (Even at the begining i gave the path saying that You SHOULD SAVE IT HERE!)

But still I couldn't find the .csprj (project file).
    Where is that? Or else web site doesn't have a project file??? (But when I create the website it said it is there. If so, where???)

Then i create a new project using file=>new=>project.
    And I follow the same procedure above.
    There in the path i gave (E:\AnamManam\test_webapplication\test_webapplication) I found .sln file and .suo file and anther folder.
    In that folder I could find the project file and some other files such as *.cs and *.designer.cs and some folders (bin,properties,obj)

So, why ther is such difference?

Can some one help me with this matter becuase i'm confused with this difference.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
    Jay.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 6:51 AM

Answers

• A project file contains all the information of a project, such as its settings and espesially the items (*.cs, *.aspx, etc.) in the project.

The solution is just a container for the projects and the configurations the projects can be build in. The suo file is the contains the user specific settings of the solution (such as the opened windows etc.)
    Ewald - Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    • Marked as answer by Nancy Shao Monday, April 6, 2009 5:11 AM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 11:04 AM

All replies