Rookie Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon all,

We are currently checking to deploy XenApp on Azure. Now I'm pretty new and i'd like to have some information so we know what costs we will get;

Question 1: Dv2 series: I see they have an SSD (temporary?) disk. Does this mean i need an extra SSD disk? How does this work.

Question 2: What costs can we expect when deploying a new infrastructure? I know some of the costs are: VM's pricing, CALS, XenApp license, VNET data per GB, Bandwidth per GB, Antivirus, Firewall. Are there any more costs?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Bobby

Monday, December 19, 2016 2:28 PM

Answers

• Hi

The C drvice is 127GB bydefault, data stored in C drive does not lost  When system crashes / ges move /gets shutdown.

Yes, you could expand C drive to 1TB.

Regards,

Walter

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by BobbyZ1 Monday, January 9, 2017 3:35 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 12:58 PM
  • Hi

If my answers are helpful, don't forget to mark them.

Regards,

Walter

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 1:00 PM

All replies

• Hi

Question 1: Dv2 series: I see they have an SSD (temporary?) disk. Does this mean i need an extra SSD disk? How does this work.

Dv2-series VM has a local (temporary) disk. This is free for VM. You don’t need extra SSD disk.

The temporary storage is present on the physical machine that is hosting your VM. Your VM can move to a different host at any point in time due to various reasons (hardware failure etc.). When this happens your VM will be recreated on the new host using the OS disk from your storage account. Any data saved on the previous temporary drive will not be migrated and you will be assigned a temporary drive on the new host. For your reference:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/mast/2013/12/06/understanding-the-temporary-drive-on-windows-azure-virtual-machines/

Question 2: What costs can we expect when deploying a new infrastructure? I know some of the costs are: VM's pricing, CALS, XenApp license, VNET data per GB, Bandwidth per GB, Antivirus, Firewall. Are there any more costs?

Base on my knowledge, you need pay your VM’s VHD cost.  For a VM using Standard storage for the OS drive (C) you only pay what you use. If you use a public IP for your VM, you also need pay this cost. You could use Pricing Calculator to know you cost.

Regards,

Walter

• Edited by ShuiShengbao Tuesday, December 20, 2016 2:06 AM
    • Proposed as answer by ShuiShengbao Wednesday, December 21, 2016 8:10 AM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 2:06 AM
  • Hello Walter, 

Thank you for the feedback.

So what we are looking for are VM's which can host XenApp. Currently we were thinking about D2 v2. We'd like 4 cores and around 16GB ram each XenApp server.

What would you suggest? D2v2 with premium disks (for example p10 with 128GB SSD?) so we wont lose the data or would you advice something else? (Other storage, other VM's etc)

Thank again !

Bobby

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 8:36 AM
  • Hi

D2V2  VMs use standard storage. You only pay what you use.

D-series VMs are designed to run applications that demand higher compute power and temporary disk performance. D-series VMs provide faster processors, a higher memory-to-core ratio, and a solid-state drive (SSD) for the temporary disk. 

Dv2-series, a follow-on to the original D-series, features a more powerful CPU. The Dv2-series CPU is about 35% faster than the D-series CPU. It is based on the latest generation 2.4 GHz Intel Xeon® E5-2673 v3 (Haswell) processor, and with the Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0, can go up to 3.1 GHz. The Dv2-series has the same memory and disk configurations as the D-series.

For your reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/virtual-machines-windows-sizes

Regards,

Walter

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 8:43 AM
  • Hi

D2V2  VMs use standard storage. You only pay what you use.

D-series VMs are designed to run applications that demand higher compute power and temporary disk performance. D-series VMs provide faster processors, a higher memory-to-core ratio, and a solid-state drive (SSD) for the temporary disk. 

Dv2-series, a follow-on to the original D-series, features a more powerful CPU. The Dv2-series CPU is about 35% faster than the D-series CPU. It is based on the latest generation 2.4 GHz Intel Xeon® E5-2673 v3 (Haswell) processor, and with the Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0, can go up to 3.1 GHz. The Dv2-series has the same memory and disk configurations as the D-series.

For your reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/virtual-machines-windows-sizes

Regards,

Walter

Hello Walter,

Thanks for your reponse again.

So if i understand correctly in order to have a working environment I need one of the following;

* D or Dv2 VM with a plage blobs virtual disks? So we wont lose data? We will be hosting XenApp servers, so they need to be always working.

* Or do we need different VM's?

Sorry, but im kinda new to Azure and I want to make sure im correct.

Bobby

• Edited by BobbyZ1 Thursday, December 22, 2016 10:00 AM
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 9:59 AM
  • Hi

D or Dv2 VM with a plage blobs virtual disks? So we wont lose data?

VM's OS disk is a VHD which is a page blob. You don't need to worry to lose your data. Please don't store your data to temporarily disk (D). You could store your data on C or add more data disks to your VM.

Or do we need different VM's?

It depends on your apps and business volume. You could resize your VM to a larger size if your apps need and not worry lose your data.

Regards,

Walter

• Edited by ShuiShengbao Thursday, December 22, 2016 10:07 AM
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 10:05 AM
  • Hi,

So theoretically if we create a Dv2 VM and connect a pageblob disk and the system crashes / gets moved / gets shut down this is what happens;

The C:\ will stay intact whatever happens (30GB disk), D:\ is temporary and the data will dissapear on this VM. The pageblob disk will remain intact. Is this correct?

One more (and last) question is; The C: drive only has 30GB. When we need to install programs we need additional diskspace (We need programs on the XenApp servers). Can we expand the C:\ with the volume of the pageblob?

Thanks walter for your help so far. You are helping me out big time :)

Thursday, December 22, 2016 12:42 PM
  • Hi

The C drvice is 127GB bydefault, data stored in C drive does not lost  When system crashes / ges move /gets shutdown.

Yes, you could expand C drive to 1TB.

Regards,

Walter

Thursday, December 22, 2016 12:58 PM
  • Hi

If my answers are helpful, don't forget to mark them.

Regards,

Walter

Thursday, December 22, 2016 1:00 PM