Windows Explorer Folder Path Title Not Centered when Showing ZIP Files

Question

• I am happy that Microsoft has chosen to reinstate the path display in the Title Bar of Windows Explorer windows.

But there is interference sometimes from the upward extensions of the ribbon menu entries... Note what happens, for example, when a downloaded ZIP file is displayed:

Can these little "extra" ribbon extensions (e.g., the orange/pink "Compressed Folder Tools" tab as shown above) be turned off?  They really have no business intruding into (and altering the function of) the Title Bar.

Was anything really wrong with the "old" way - pop-up "ToolTips"?

-Noel

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• Noel Carboni,

At this time the ribbon extensions that you are referring to cannot be turned off. 

For more information on the development of the Operating System you can go to the ‘Building Windows 8’ blog by following the link below:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/26/signing-in-to-windows-8-with-a-windows-live-id.aspx

Thanks,

Chris
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:44 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback; I didn't really think it would be possible to disable them, but I thought I'd ask.  

Please allow me to just say that such changes, where the tried-and-true desktop standards of the past are just being thrown out seem haphazard at best.  Does anyone really believe new stuff needs to go into the Title Bar to make Windows on the desktop more useful?  I'm glad to see titles going back in there at least.

It would be great if you'd make sure the people designing the UI changes would see this post.  I'll probably also go ahead and submit it as well via the feedback tool.

-Noel

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:32 PM
  • Noel Carboni,

Microsoft is monitoring these forums for issues and concerns.  This will be reported up so that the right people are made aware of your concern.

ALSO

You can submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview.  There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here

In case the link above gets messed up, the URL is below:

ADD1-RY34-K4T4
    (
    https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=ADD1-RY34-K4T4)

The last link goes to: How do I install the Windows Feedback Tool and file a bug

If there are any questions let us know.

Thanks,

Chris
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:34 PM