none
Help Debugging by "Exception Offset" Value from Error Message RRS feed

• Question

• I have an application that is crashing and displays the following message.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    ion:

Stopped working

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                      APPCRASH

Application Name:                            [My applications name]

Application Version:                          4.0.0.0

Application Timestamp:                   4b4f2e65

Fault Module Name:                         unknown

Fault Module Version:                      0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp:                00000000

Exception Code:                                c0000005

Exception Offset:                               041d9da8

OS Version:                                        6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.2

Locale ID:                                            1033

Read our privacy statement:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

----------------------------------------------------------

The application completely closes after you close the dialog that the error message above came from.  I wrote the application and I know, for a fact, that where this error is taking place is in a try/catch block.

My problem is that this error is happening on multiple users computers, however, I can not replicate it in a test environment with Visual Studio installed.  My question is, is there a way that I can take the debug data above, specifically the Exception Offset, and try to pinpoint where this error is occurring?

This problem has stumped me for a very long time and I have posted questions about it off and on for years on various forums.  Does any one know what the information above could affectively be used for?

Thanks guys.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 7:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• c0000005 is Access Violation. Your program tried to use memory which was not allocated. That can happen because some other code corrupted other memory (e.g. wrongly written PInvoke, wrong COM call signatures, or native/unsafe code in your application) or because your native/unsafe code did that directly.
    You can try to get a crash dump from your users and then look at it in debugger. Maybe that will help you understand what went wrong.

Here are some links about dumps:
        http://blogs.msdn.com/debugger/archive/2009/12/30/what-is-a-dump-and-how-do-i-create-one.aspx
        http://blogs.msdn.com/tess/archive/2008/05/21/debugdiag-1-1-or-windbg-which-one-should-i-use-and-how-do-i-gather-memory-dumps.aspx
        http://blogs.iis.net/webtopics/archive/2009/10/01/configuring-debugdiag-to-automatically-capture-a-full-user-dump-on-a-managed-function.aspx

-Karel
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 8:22 PM
  • Hi RHartness,

I'm writing to check the issue status, does Karel's suggestion help? please feel free to let us know if you have any concern.

Sincerely,
    Eric
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback of our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, March 22, 2010 7:35 AM
  • I apologize for not responding.  My office has recently moved and I haven't had time to attempt an application dump.  I'll respond as soon as I get a chance to attempt these suggestions.
    Monday, March 22, 2010 1:29 PM
  • Hi RHartness,

Eric is on vacation.  I am his backup.  Would you mind letting us know how is the problem now? 

If you need further assistance, please feel free to let me know.   I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi Sun

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, March 29, 2010 8:19 AM
  • I have a few minutes of free less-busy-than-normal time, so I thought I'd respond to a few questions that I had managed to solve but never updated.  This problem is rooted in a function that I call from a third party library (Crystal Reports, to be specific O_o ) so the problem was rooted in their software.

The Crystal Reports software would only crash on some machines running Vista/Win 7.  I've mentioned this in other threads where I had asked other pertinent questions but nothing had ever helped me solve this issue.  Eventually, I managed to obtain one of these elusive, crashing machines.

The solution ended up being that I needed to download almost every single Crystal Reports XI R2 service pack (there are quite a few, they are massive and the download rate from SAP is slooooooow) and hoped that one of patches would install without needing my license key.  That last qualifier was the most important.  I don't know why Business Objects (now SAP) designed their software so that packed installation modules do not need CD Keys but running the .msi package does force you to enter your key code but, whatever.  I eventually found a service pack that works which is over 900MB in size that seems to have worked.  (A 900MB update for a 72MB runtime... COME ON!!!)

Anyway, thanks for everyones help.  The memory dump tools mentioned above were helpful.

• Edited by BMRH Thursday, July 22, 2010 12:25 PM Still, misspelling
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 12:21 PM
  • Hi,

when we launch our VC(MFC) application as a web service  in IE8 (on Windows 7 OS running on virtual machine), then our application gets crash at one instance of Print dialog box.

VMWare/Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 Configuration running on Windows XP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RAM allocated - 1098 MB

Processor - I3 Core to duo

Please find the crash error messages appeared as below.

Crash message

---------------------

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
      Application Name:    iexplore.exe
      Application Version:    8.0.7601.17514
      Application Timestamp:    4ce79912
      Fault Module Name:    ntdll.dll
      Fault Module Version:    6.1.7601.17725
      Fault Module Timestamp:    4ec49b60
      Exception Code:    c0000005
      Exception Offset:    0001f8c4
      OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
      Locale ID:    1033
      Additional Information 1:    e8ad
      Additional Information 2:    e8adce1c2b9e7be834b4063ac3c53863
      Additional Information 3:    e8ad
      Additional Information 4:    e8adce1c2b9e7be834b4063ac3c53863

Please let us know the appropriate reason for this kind of crash and if any solution.

Thursday, December 13, 2012 6:52 AM