none
How to Type Group Name in To: Field on Outlook When Using a SharePoint Synced Contact Group

Question

• I've got a contact group synced to Sharepoint and I'd like to be able to just type the name of the group in the To: field and it fill in all the emails of the group. This is what happens when I create a Contact Group in Outlook. But it is not happening for groups created and synced with SharePoint.

So for example, I made a new Contact Group in Outlook called "test". I added a few names. I start a new email and in the To: field start typing "test". It predicts that group name. I select it. The emails are all there when I expand the group name by clicking the little +.

Now I go to SharePoint and on a project site, go to the Contacts tool and click Connect to Outlook. A group is made in Outlook, which I'll call "project a - project team". I add names. I start a new email and in the To: field start typing "project a...". Nothing. So what we have to do is right-click the group, click properties, click Outlook Address Book, and check the box. Then it shows up in Other Address Books and I can highlight every name to add to To:, but this is more steps when I know I should be able to just type the name of the group in To:!

So what's the difference here and how can I get it to behave like the first example?

Friday, February 09, 2018 9:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, Contact Group in the contact connected from SharePoint is different from people contacts in Outlook, which is due to the different designs between SharePoint Contact List and the Outlook contacts.

It’s hard to change the by design behavior.

I understand that this causes inconvenience when users try to create a new document set and the workaround is complicated. It is suggested you submit feedback via UserVoice. This is the best way to let related team hear your voice. What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by croute1 Monday, February 12, 2018 3:50 PM
    Monday, February 12, 2018 8:07 AM