Calculate Distance between 2 points RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I used the haversine formula to calculate the distance between 2 points as susgegsted by severl people on this foum.  When i compare the distance with the distance in bing maps or google maps, there is a difference.

I also tried the code posted at this link by R Brunditt.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vemapcontroldev/thread/c3411cf6-f41a-4f9a-87d8-97b338af7752 

Still i have the same problem. I want the distance in miles.

Here is my code:

Public Structure Position

Public Latitude As Double

Public Longitude As Double

End Structure

Public Sub haver()

Dim pos1 As New Position()

Dim pos2 As New Position()

'Dim hv As New Haversine()

Dim result As Double = Distance(pos1, pos2, DistanceType.Miles)

End Sub

Public Function Distance(ByVal pos1 As Position, ByVal pos2 As Position, ByVal type As DistanceType) As Double

Dim R As Double = If((type = DistanceType.Miles), 3960, 6371)

Dim dLat As Double = Me.toRadian(pos2.Latitude - pos1.Latitude)

Dim dLon As Double = Me.toRadian(pos2.Longitude - pos1.Longitude)

Dim a As Double = Math.Sin(dLat / 2) * Math.Sin(dLat / 2) + Math.Cos(Me.toRadian(pos1.Latitude)) * Math.Cos(Me.toRadian(pos2.Latitude)) * Math.Sin(dLon / 2) * Math.Sin(dLon / 2)

Dim c As Double = 2 * Math.Asin(Math.Min(1, Math.Sqrt(a)))

Dim d As Double = R * c

Return d

End Function

Private Function toRadian(ByVal val As Double) As Double

Return (Math.PI / 180) * val

End Function

Thanks in Advance

Monday, April 19, 2010 10:25 PM

Answers

• But, there are several instances in the application where i do not ned routes at all. All i need is travel distance between 2 addresses.(Latitude and longitude for these 2 points are provided)

You will still have to use the directions service to get the distance, even if you do not display the routes.  There is simply no other way to get "travel distance".

You've completely wasted your time using Haversine formula, which after all has only ever been an algorithm for calculating straight line distance ; of course that will almost always be less than travel distance. 

About the only non-services alternative is to accept inaccuracies and add say 40% to a Haversine calculation to get a very rough approximation.

• Marked as answer by rowter Wednesday, April 21, 2010 5:09 PM
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 5:52 PM

All replies

• The Haversine formula calculates the straight line distance between two points. How are you measureing the distance using Bing or Google?If your using the routes, these will be different as these follow the roads. Also not that the Haversine is an approximate distance that is relative to a smooth sphere and as such does not take ground elevation into account.
    Windows Live Developer MVP - http://rbrundritt.spaces.live.com
    Monday, April 19, 2010 11:26 PM
  • Also, you are not using Atan2 to calculate the central angle.
    Monday, April 19, 2010 11:36 PM
  • I am using Bing Maps.  I do not want a straight line distance between 2 points.

Is there any other method that i can use to get the distance between 2 points provided i have  lat and long for the 2 points. (I do not want to use VEGetDirections  method as i do not need to load map )

If i use Atan2 will it give accurate distance?

Thanks

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:34 AM
  • I do not want a straight line distance between 2 points.

It's not clear what you do want, can you explain ?
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 8:49 AM
  • Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:51 PM
  • Hi

Rossko 57,

These maps are for a transportation related service.

We do need routes for which i am using getdirections method provided by VE.(Using Bing Maps)

But, there are several instances in the application where i do not ned routes at all. All i need is travel distance between 2 addresses.(Latitude and longitude for these 2 points are provided)

This has to be saved. So, i want to avoid using Getdirections method as i do nto need to load the map or add pushpins in my scenario here.

Using haversine formula, for shorter distances the distance is going wrong by 0.5 to 1 mile. But for longer distances, the value i am getting is less than the value in google maps or bing maps by 150 miles.(Ex distance between NJ and Dallas)

So, i  want to get the road travel distance between 2 points.(consuming minimum clicks or transactions).

Richard,

I tried Atan2 to cacluate the central angle. Still i see the difference.

Jonathan,

I have to look in to this Routing web sevice. Will try this now and see if it gets me what i need. 

Thanks

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 3:31 PM
  • But, there are several instances in the application where i do not ned routes at all. All i need is travel distance between 2 addresses.(Latitude and longitude for these 2 points are provided)

You will still have to use the directions service to get the distance, even if you do not display the routes.  There is simply no other way to get "travel distance".

You've completely wasted your time using Haversine formula, which after all has only ever been an algorithm for calculating straight line distance ; of course that will almost always be less than travel distance. 

About the only non-services alternative is to accept inaccuracies and add say 40% to a Haversine calculation to get a very rough approximation.

• Marked as answer by rowter Wednesday, April 21, 2010 5:09 PM
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 5:52 PM
  •  

Thanks.  This is what i wanted to know in case haversine formula does not give accurate values.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 5:09 PM
  • Haversine formula does give accurate values (although your code of it happens to be flawed).

Haversine formula gives the "straight line" shortest distance over the globe.

Haversine formula can never provide travel distance by roads, and no-one ever said it did.  You chose the wrong tool, don't blame the tool.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 5:27 PM
  • You can get the travel distance by using the Bing Maps Routing Web Service. This will allow you to get the route information without having to render a route on a map.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 9:30 PM