Start menu vs. Charms bar and Metro application switching

General discussion

• I've only been using the Developer Preview for a couple days now, and for something that's not even in beta, I've got few real complaints. However one thing that does strike me as odd/irritating is how the start menu and charms bar, despite essentially being the same thing, are found in completely opposite sides of the screen depending on what type of input devices one has.

Would it really be problematic to have it consolidated into one place (my preference would be where the traditional start menu was located); and basically flip how the start screen is used with touch screens around?

Advantages would be one place to go for the menu/charms regardless of input method, and swiping applications in from the right side strikes me more natural, like flipping the pages of a book.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:51 AM

All replies

• Uhm... charms always pop up right over the Start button isn't it? What do you mean saying that they appear at the different sides of the screen?

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 6:09 AM
  • Uhm... charms always pop up right over the Start button isn't it? What do you mean saying that they appear at the different sides of the screen?
    On a touch screen device the charms menu is activated by swiping from the right, and the menu appears on the right. There is no popup over the Start button (in the desktop view).

I agree with the OP that this difference is very strange.

One suggestion I have made is to simulate swiping by holding the right mouse button down.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:35 AM
  • Ah, I see now. Thank you. Why right button? How about clicking and dragging?

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:36 AM
  • Ah, I see now. Thank you. Why right button? How about clicking and dragging?
    Because it is much more likely to interfere with other uses of the mouse.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:00 PM
  • Ah, sure, with drag'n'drop at least. Nice idea! I am really missing the feature you suggested. What category did you use in Feedback Tool to suggest the feature? I would love to add my suggestion as well. Possibly this will give some, very little, impact.
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:23 AM
  • Ah, sure, with drag'n'drop at least. Nice idea! I am really missing the feature you suggested. What category did you use in Feedback Tool to suggest the feature? I would love to add my suggestion as well. Possibly this will give some, very little, impact.
    I haven't submitted it yet. I really need to spend some time with the feedback tool...

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:26 AM