What would be the best direction to go in creating a brand new web app for dating RRS feed

• Question

• User-858993849 posted

I am looking for opinions on the best way of going about creating a dating app with minimal monthly cost, state of art interface, and extremely fast response times.

1. Singe Page Application vs multiple page?
    2. ASP.net??
    3. Angular JS vs ReactJS vs. ???
    4.  data storage (MySQL vs MsSQL)
    5. Windows vs linux OS?
    6. Python vs C#?
    7. In the past, I have traditionally used ASP.Net Web Forms, but 100% of HTML has been hard coded with significant JavaScript Front end.  I have done some Angular 2.0 development, and see angular 5.0 is out.  I have never used React.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, January 5, 2018 12:27 PM

Answers

• User541108374 posted

Hi,

first of all decide what you're comfortable working with right now and see if you can do it with that technology. If not decide what and how much you want to learn and when you want to deliver. Do you want to deliver periodically and add new features over time or do you want to create something, deploy it and move on to something else.

Every language and platform has its pros and cons and large communities to lean back on when you're in doubt. The JavaScript rollercoaster's going fast and it looks like every day a new version or yet another framework comes out. For the moment I see Angular, React and Vue being the most popular. Tomorrow it might be something completely different.

For MySQL/SQL/Windows vs Linux: again depends on what you're comfortable with, willing to pay and spend time learning if needed.

Also: if you suddenly need help as you don't have the time to finish on time, do you know other people well versed in the technologies you're using that you can hire to help out?

I get the feeling you're focussing too much on technology at the moment and less on what actually needs to be created. You didn't mention that part so I could be wrong of course.

Kris.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, January 5, 2018 2:16 PM
  • User541108374 posted

Hi,

it's not because some technology is the hipster tech of the moment that you should be using it. I looked at all 3 (ng, React, Vue) but currently the application at the client's begin developed with C#, EF, MVC and Kendo UI grid for MVC for a large EMEA insurance company. It's good to keep an eye on them but rather focus on decent and performant. In the past, 2002-2004 range somewhere I remember a dating site match.com being made with webforms and 70+ custom made custom web controls. It served millions of people and was used by Microsoft to show enterprises their .NET approach was ready for prime time.

I could be missing something as to how affordable it is to use Windows servers over Linux in that Windows could be competitive to Linux. So I probably need to make that decision first.

You'll have to do some digging around. Note that prices is not always the main factor. How good and responsive is their help desk when your site's down is usually overlooked but a vital part of the service.

ASP.NET Core runs on Linux and there's even a SQL Server version that runs on Linux. So you might want to check that out as well.

I'm currently into the Serverless architecture space with Azure Functions and the like. The consumption plan might be something for you as you pay per execution time and memory usage but not for the server. It can scale very well and you can also make SPA applications thanks to proxies and Azure Storage. I demoed this during Basta! conference in Germany a couple of months ago. If there's no action on your site you basically also don't pay (ok you pay for the used storage space).

Kris.

Friday, January 5, 2018 2:45 PM
  • User283571144 posted

Hi jayhawker,

Would I better myself to just stay with writing my own HTML, CSS, and Javascript leaning on JQuery when it comes in handy?  Also, I assume SQL Server is not free on Linux like MySQL. But am I wrong?

In my opinion, angualrjs, ReactJS or something else is help you fast created the application.

We could also using JQuery to create a good web application.

Besides, if you don't want to use SQL Server, you could consider using my sql or directly using azure SQL database. It is cloud based database.

Best Regards,

Brando

Monday, January 8, 2018 7:44 AM

All replies

• User541108374 posted

Hi,

first of all decide what you're comfortable working with right now and see if you can do it with that technology. If not decide what and how much you want to learn and when you want to deliver. Do you want to deliver periodically and add new features over time or do you want to create something, deploy it and move on to something else.

Every language and platform has its pros and cons and large communities to lean back on when you're in doubt. The JavaScript rollercoaster's going fast and it looks like every day a new version or yet another framework comes out. For the moment I see Angular, React and Vue being the most popular. Tomorrow it might be something completely different.

For MySQL/SQL/Windows vs Linux: again depends on what you're comfortable with, willing to pay and spend time learning if needed.

Also: if you suddenly need help as you don't have the time to finish on time, do you know other people well versed in the technologies you're using that you can hire to help out?

I get the feeling you're focussing too much on technology at the moment and less on what actually needs to be created. You didn't mention that part so I could be wrong of course.

Kris.

Friday, January 5, 2018 2:16 PM
  • User-858993849 posted

Thank you for the reply.  The choices are overwhelming. I would like to utilize my familiarity with Visual Studio, C#, CSS, and Javascript as well.  I start to just do my own thing and not worry about using either Angular or React, creating all the HTML and Javascript myself giving me absolute control. It is what I have been doing. But everyone is always talking about Angular and React, so I thought I'd get others opinions.

I could be missing something as to how affordable it is to use Windows servers over Linux in that Windows could be competitive to Linux. So I probably need to make that decision first. Does Asp.net run on Linux without issue?  

Friday, January 5, 2018 2:24 PM
  • User541108374 posted

Hi,

it's not because some technology is the hipster tech of the moment that you should be using it. I looked at all 3 (ng, React, Vue) but currently the application at the client's begin developed with C#, EF, MVC and Kendo UI grid for MVC for a large EMEA insurance company. It's good to keep an eye on them but rather focus on decent and performant. In the past, 2002-2004 range somewhere I remember a dating site match.com being made with webforms and 70+ custom made custom web controls. It served millions of people and was used by Microsoft to show enterprises their .NET approach was ready for prime time.

I could be missing something as to how affordable it is to use Windows servers over Linux in that Windows could be competitive to Linux. So I probably need to make that decision first.

You'll have to do some digging around. Note that prices is not always the main factor. How good and responsive is their help desk when your site's down is usually overlooked but a vital part of the service.

ASP.NET Core runs on Linux and there's even a SQL Server version that runs on Linux. So you might want to check that out as well.

I'm currently into the Serverless architecture space with Azure Functions and the like. The consumption plan might be something for you as you pay per execution time and memory usage but not for the server. It can scale very well and you can also make SPA applications thanks to proxies and Azure Storage. I demoed this during Basta! conference in Germany a couple of months ago. If there's no action on your site you basically also don't pay (ok you pay for the used storage space).

Kris.

Friday, January 5, 2018 2:45 PM
  • User-858993849 posted

Would I better myself to just stay with writing my own HTML, CSS, and Javascript leaning on JQuery when it comes in handy?  Also, I assume SQL Server is not free on Linux like MySQL. But am I wrong?

Friday, January 5, 2018 2:52 PM
  • User283571144 posted

Hi jayhawker,

In my opinion, angualrjs, ReactJS or something else is help you fast created the application.

We could also using JQuery to create a good web application.

Besides, if you don't want to use SQL Server, you could consider using my sql or directly using azure SQL database. It is cloud based database.

Best Regards,

Brando

Monday, January 8, 2018 7:44 AM