none
Missing SQL Server template in Visual Studio 2015. How to get it back?

General discussion

• I have installed VS2015 and SSDT. I can see Business Intelligence templates when I try to create a new project: File--> New--> Project. However there is no SQL Sever template. I expected to see it in Installed templates sitting between Visual C++ and Python. But alas.

I have reinstalled VS2015, SSDT and , as suggested in https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/0dd15332-7744-44ea-85a8-5ec6b36febcc/visual-studio-2015-missing-project-templates?forum=visualstudiogeneral, I have run:

devenv /installvstemplates

devenv /ResetSettings

Nothing had worked.
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 7:02 AM

All replies

• Hi AlenkaJ,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

The devenv /installvstemplates command is to restore the VS default template, such as C# and VB, and the devenv /ResetSettings is back to the original VS settings.

If you create new project but still no SQL server template, it almost indicates that the template is missing or corrupted.

1.Please go to Control Panel >Programs >Programs and Features

2.Select Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 and click on 'Modify'.

3. Check if the Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools is already existed.

If it has been applied still not work, you may manually download it to repair again:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/mt186501.aspx

By the way, now the Update 3 is released, you may also install this extensions and apply it to your VS.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 8:34 AM
  • Hi Lana Xu,

I have tried all of your suggestions, but no avail - the SQL Server Project is not in the Installed Templates list.

I even uninstalled and installed again the VS 2015 with update 3 and SSTD - nothing changed.

I used vs_enterprise__404d5637237c7343acdf07251968a848.exe  and SSDT.exe from MSDN website. I can not afford to reformat my disk as one user had done in this forum thread  to fixed the problem https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/0dd15332-7744-44ea-85a8-5ec6b36febcc/visual-studio-2015-missing-project-templates?

Is there a way I can add the template manually, like say Paste-n-Copy from somewhere?

Friday, August 26, 2016 7:19 AM
  • Hi Alenkaj,

After I download the SSDT tools, the template shows on the following folder:

You may go the Template>ProjectTemplate URL to check if the Business Intelligence is existed.

If not, you could use /layout command to download full resource from the following link:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/mt186501.aspx

Then copy the template to the URL I mentioned before.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, August 26, 2016 8:39 AM
  • Hi Lana,

I do have Business Intelligence folder in the path you have specified and I can create BI projects. BUT the SQL Server Project is not in the Installed Templates list and I can not created SQL Server projects.

By the way, the  Business Intelligence folder in the path you have specified is empty. I am not sure whether it has been meant to be empty or not. Are there any files in for your BI folder?

I have run the  /layout command. It created SSDTSetup.exe and two folders:
    payload, ssdt. When I click on SSDTSetup.exe it offers to Install tools for
    these four SQL Sever features: SQL Server Database (check box is ticked but
    greyed out option) and SSAS, SSRS and SSIS). Then the Setup fails because
    another version of this product is already installed.

As I previously mentioned, I have instaled, uninstalled and reinstalled the
    SSDT, but this hasn't fixed the problem.

You wrote: "Then copy the template to the URL I mentioned before". What is
    the SQLSERVER Project template name? Where is it located?

Monday, August 29, 2016 2:18 AM
  • Hi AlenkaJ,

Thanks for your update and sorry for my delay reply.

>>Then the Setup fails because another version of this product is already installed.

Have you noticed about this error message?

It seems that you have installed the other SSDT edition,  but if you have tries both uninstall and re-install but still no help, I suggest you repair your VS via control panel.

>>"Then copy the template to the URL I mentioned before". What is
    the SQLSERVER Project template name? Where is it located?

If you download the SSDT Tools, by default it's under the Documents>Visual Studio 2015>Templates>ProjectTemplates.

Or another way is to download a healthy ISO to repair you VS completely.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 9:12 AM