Upload file size limit in IoT hub RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to know what is the maximum size of file permitted in file upload functionality of IoT hub?  Will the size of file affect the message quota limitation per day? Assume that if I upload a file of 40KB, will the remaining daily quota for the day decrease by 10 (assuming I have S1 plan where the message size is 4KB)? Underneath, does it uses HTTPS or some other protocol?

Friday, October 26, 2018 8:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Harianantha2,

There is no explicit max file size that I could find in the configuration options: File upload notification configuration options

There are two indirect factors that limit the size and amount of data that the file upload process can handle. These are, the amount of storage space allocated to the the device and that amount of available space in the configured storage account for the IoT Hub file upload functionality. 

The pricing, however, has a per unit meter in place. For S1, you get what is equal to 400k messages per day at 4 KB each in size. Or 200k messages per day at 8 KB each in size. So yes, with a 40 KB file, you are essentially using 10 message credits against your per day meter rate of 400k, when measured at 4 KB per message. 

Additional Information:

Reference - IoT Hub quotas and throttling

Reference - IoT Hub endpoints

Friday, October 26, 2018 3:29 PM