locked
VirtualMachineConfiguration vs CloudServiceConfiguration RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    We're currently using CloudServiceConfiguration to run our Pool, but we're looking to re-generate it now that Server 2019 is available. We don't seem to be able to use OS Family 6 with CloudServiceConfiguration so we're considering moving to VirtualMachineConfiguration but I can't find any good references that indicate the differences between them.

    1) Do updates still get taken care of automatically? Our pool is long running but there aren't usually tasks overnight so they get resized down to 0 nodes and then start up the following morning. Will our new VMs effectively run off the latest image, or will they always have to update? Does the image get updated periodically?

    2) We deploy the application on-demand with the tasks, I'm assuming that still works as expected

    3) We have some certificates that are installed, but these can either be at the user or machine level. Our application isn't fussy about that

    That's all I can think of for now!

    Regards,
    Matthew


    Monday, March 25, 2019 8:19 PM

Answers

  • Hi Matthew,

    1. As long as you resize down to 0 and you set the image version to use latest in your VMConfiguration, you will get the latest published version.
    2. Yes, there is no change.
    3. Certificate behavior should remain the same.

    Cheers,

    Fred

    Monday, March 25, 2019 8:38 PM

All replies

  • Hi Matthew,

    1. As long as you resize down to 0 and you set the image version to use latest in your VMConfiguration, you will get the latest published version.
    2. Yes, there is no change.
    3. Certificate behavior should remain the same.

    Cheers,

    Fred

    Monday, March 25, 2019 8:38 PM
  • Thanks for the quick answer. Might see if we're Server Core compatible at the same time, free up some memory :)
    Monday, March 25, 2019 9:32 PM
  • There's sort of a sub-question on this. Will our VMs be taken offline to run updates as soon as the new image becomes available or is there a delay? What's the update process like for running servers in terms of dealing with running tasks?
    Monday, March 25, 2019 9:33 PM
  • There is no automatic "Guest OS update" like there is in CSConfig pools. If you enable automatic OS updates (it's defaulted to true I believe) in the Windows Configuration section of VMConfig pools, your VM will be updated after you reboot. Batch does not currently reboot on your behalf. Thus there should be no interruption to your running tasks due to OS updates. Keep in mind your tasks can be interrupted for other reasons (user initiated actions or the compute node failing), thus you'll want to ensure that your tasks are idempotent.

    Resizing down to 0 (or recreating the pool) will automatically fetch the latest Windows image if using "latest" as the version once the pool is resized back up or recreated.


    Tuesday, March 26, 2019 8:59 PM
  • That's great thanks. 95% of our tasks are idempotent but the remaining 5% require more dev effort than is worth to have someone manually fix and restart tasks which fail due to hardware failure (as it's such a rare occurrence)
    Tuesday, March 26, 2019 9:13 PM