none
HP Laptops for 3D Scanning RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone had success using either of the following HP Laptops with Kinect for 3D scanning:

-HP Pavilion 17-ab091ms Signature Edition Gaming Laptop

-HP Pavilion 17t Touch 17.3'' Premium Gaming Laptop V3A33AV

jperry

Monday, November 7, 2016 6:18 PM

All replies

• These 2 computers should work well.

I have had success with the new driver and all 6 gen computers I have tried.

Ran into a new problem today while testing an I5 7200u and 620 hd system.  Everything works accept body tracking and face tracking.

30 FPS test but our software and the SDK tests are not working for body tracking.

David

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 4:11 PM
  • Thanks David.

This is very helpful to me.

Jack

jperry

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 5:01 PM
  • The only problem I have with the 8 cores is sometimes the FPS jumps around.

If this happens sometimes setting the cores to 7 helps stabilize this.

system configuration - boot - advanced options - set the processor to 7.

Reboot and check the FPS.  David

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 5:56 PM
  • UPDATE

I could not get one of the above computers, but now am considering this HPZbook 15 G4 Mobile Workstation:

Processor

Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ with Intel® HD Graphics 630 (2.8 GHz, up to 3.8 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0, 6 MB L3 cache, 4 cores)

Chipset

Mobile Intel® CM236 integrated with processor

Memory

16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 16 GB)

Graphics

Intel® HD Graphics 630 NVIDIA® Quadro® M1200 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)

Ports

1 RJ-45; 1 USB 3.0 (charging); 1 VGA 1 power connector; 2 USB Type-C™ (Thunderbolt™ 3, DisplayPort™ 1.2, USB 3.1); 2 USB 3.0; 1 stereo microphone-in/headphone-out combo

Expansion slots

1 SD UHS-II flash media; 1 smart card reader

I am not a hardware expert, but my reading of the requirements leads me to conclude that this laptop will work.

However, the question about a compatible USB 3.0 Controller (specifically I think, the chipset involved) is still fuzzy in my mind. After trying to learn about “chipsets” I am still left with this question: “Does the Mobil Intel CM236 chipset (Integrated with Processor), that Intel specs says “Integrated USB 3.0 support, provides excellent performance with a design data rate of up to 5 GB/Sec with up to 10 USB 3.0 ports.” Fully satisfy the USB 3.0 requirements for the Kinect?

My concern revolves around the definition and role of the CM236 chipset. Does this chipset control ALL of the USB Controllers on this computer, or are there other USB 3.0 controllers with their own (perhaps not Intel) chipsets? I posed this question to the Sales folks at HP, but could not get a satisfactory answer.

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

jperry

Thursday, May 18, 2017 2:41 AM
  • Hi, what are symptoms?

1. Is Windows fully updated?

2. Does the Kinect drive load in Device manager?

3. Does the Kinect verify software to connect to the camera?

4. Are the graphics drivers updated?

If you would like me to have a look please provide your email.

Thanks, David

Thursday, May 18, 2017 2:10 PM
  • Hi again David.

I was not quite clear with my question. I have not yet purchased this computer so naturally I have had no problems with it :)

I am considering getting it, but while digging through the hardware requires for the Kinect I kept running across comments about USB 3.0 chipset problems. As I know nothing about chipsets, I was unable to get around a concern the even though this computer has the Mobile Intel CM236 chipset integrated with the processor, there may be other USB 3.0 controllers in the computer that are not Intel or Renesas chipsets. And HP sales folks could not answer that question for me.

By the way, I am happy to see you are still helping folks like me. I tried to follow your last advice about the 2 HP Pavilion computers I was considering in 2016, but unfortunately was unable to buy one at that time. So, I am trying again.

Thanks again.

Jack,

jperry

Thursday, May 18, 2017 5:08 PM
  • Addendum to my last post.

I just received a response to this same question that I posted on the Toms Hardware site.

"driver have ASMedia eXtensible Host Controller (xHCI) Driver"

Unfortunately I don't have the background to understand what this means.

"

jperry

Thursday, May 18, 2017 5:16 PM
  • Hi, sorry I guess I did not read it.  HP sale and support people would not know that question.

It should have the Intel USB 3 system.  If it does then this computer should work.  What is your application?  Are you stuck on the HP line?  We are having good success with gaming computers.

The Omen laptops are fairly capable.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureView?catalogId=10051&urlLangId=&langId=-1&storeId=10151&catEntryId=1553154&quantity=1

David

Thursday, May 18, 2017 5:24 PM
  • I am focusing on 3D scanning using the Kinect V2 as my sensor. Initially I will use Microsoft's 3D Scan app for scanning and then 3D Builder for further processing with a view to printing. (My interest is old cars that I hope to scan and have printed as 3D models for members of our club). As I learn how to learn what I need to reach reasonable success I may consider other software.

I am not stuck with the HP line, am also looking at Alienware because these 2 manufactures seem to offer the most powerful laptops (processors and graphics card combinations) for this type of work. I have been testing my Surface 4 Pro over the past couple of days and appear to be getting good frame rates even though the Kinect Configuration Verifier gives a Yellow warning symbol for my USB 3.0 port. But I am still in the very early days of my hardware and software education. The work being done by Kinetisense is way beyond my objectives as a hobbyist.

Thanks again for you advice.

Jack

jperry

Thursday, May 18, 2017 10:48 PM
  • Sounds very interesting.  The yellow indicator is always there with all computers. 

I find with the 8 core larger Intel chips I sometimes have to set the cores to 7 to get consistent 30 FPS.

The Kinect works well with most gaming computers.  Alienware is usually the premium systems.  The Dell, HP, MSI and ASUS are all capable.

I enjoy helping people use the Kinect and have spent many hours testing systems.  The drivers seem to work well with the latest version of Windows 10.

Buy and test and if it works you are good to go.  If not return it and try another.

Thanks, David

Thursday, May 18, 2017 10:56 PM