Sharing powerpivot tables and workbooks RRS feed

• Question

• I work in a medical facility and and client confidentiality prevents loading my pivot tables to sharepoint at this time.

I am creating several reports that combine data from SQL Server, Cerner medical report DB and some lookup tables in Excel.

Everything works great on my desktop but I'm having trouble sharing my work.

Our normal routine is to drop a copy of our excel files in a Pass through file on the server that has strict access controls.

I think my main problem is my supervisor doesn't have powerpivot on his machine. that will be corrected tomorrow.

My question is:

When close your powerpivot workbook, do all the connections go with it.  If I just drop myproject.xlsx into the pass through will

all the links to the varying data sources still be available?

Thanks for any insight.

bob

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 9:26 PM

Answers

• So long as the individual opening the workbook has the same or newer version of Power Pivot installed on their machine and they have equivalent data access permissions for the source, the workbook will work fine for them. You only need to share a single .xlsx file; everything is contained in that workbook file.

This being said, the data that you have loaded into the workbook will be available to anyone who opens the workbook regardless of security at the data source. Data source security is only enforced on model refresh. Once the data is loaded into a Power Pivot workbook, it is stored locally in the workbook and there is no in-workbook securtiy model.

GNet Group BI Consultant

Thursday, November 5, 2015 5:08 PM

All replies

• I think my main problem is my supervisor doesn't have powerpivot on his machine. that will be corrected tomorrow.

Hi Bob,

According to your description, you need to share the PowerPivot workbooks to your supervisor who do not have PowerPivot installed in his machine, right?

If that is the case, you can publish the workbooks to SharePoint PowerPivot Gallery. The SharePoint PowerPivot Gallery is a special document library that has document management and preview for PowerPivot workbooks (along with a few other document types). With the PowerPivot Gallery’s live preview, you can interact with a PowerPivot workbook, just as you would in Excel.
    http://blog.softartisans.com/2012/07/27/powerpivot-part-4-sharing-powerpivot-workbooks/

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Liao Monday, November 16, 2015 9:06 AM
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 1:54 AM
  • So long as the individual opening the workbook has the same or newer version of Power Pivot installed on their machine and they have equivalent data access permissions for the source, the workbook will work fine for them. You only need to share a single .xlsx file; everything is contained in that workbook file.

This being said, the data that you have loaded into the workbook will be available to anyone who opens the workbook regardless of security at the data source. Data source security is only enforced on model refresh. Once the data is loaded into a Power Pivot workbook, it is stored locally in the workbook and there is no in-workbook securtiy model.

GNet Group BI Consultant

Thursday, November 5, 2015 5:08 PM