none
Difference between NUGET and SDK in VS 2017 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I just started learning .NET and I am on my first project

I noticed in ASP.NET core project VS 2017  Dependencies folder they have NuGet and SDK . What is the difference between these two? 

Thanks

Sunday, July 2, 2017 7:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Natasha,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

Generally speaking, NuGet is a tool that manages dlls and assemblies, SDK is encapsulated well.

Visual Studio 2015 needs to install the NET Core tools Preview 2  which makes VS2015 work with project.json.

Visual Studio 2017 .NET Core support (including tools for the new csproj file) is baked in to Visual Studio 2017, Any new .NET Core apps you create will be automatically include a csproj file. If you open an existing app (with a project.json file) in VS2017 it will also be upgraded.

However, given that MS has dropped project.json and won’t be supporting it going forward, this doesn’t seem like a long-term option and you will need to either use the SDK alongside other tools (e.g. command line or Visual Studio Code) or make the switch to Visual Studio 2017.

In Summary:

The .NET Core picture is beginning to take shape.

Your best bet is to use the latest version of the SDK, adopt Visual Studio 2017 if you can (or stick to command line and other editors such as VS Code) and use the highest version of the .NET Core runtime that you’re able to (1.0.x or 1.1).

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 4, 2017 6:07 AM