none
Why are there many version of .Net currently installed on one computer? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Windows Vista Business with Service Pack 1. I recently discover that there are many versions of .Net (Dotnet framework) are installed on my computer. In "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\", I found that there are 1.0/1.1/2.0/3.0 instances.

Every thing is okay now. But the question is why are there so many version of .Net currently installed on one computer? Is there any problem with backward compatible? Is there a software that only works with .Net version 1.0 but not with version 1.1 or with others?

Assumed that I was a normal user; that means I only use computer to do normal things likes playing music and movie, creating documents, surfing web, ... I install a software that required .Net version 4.0 (just for example). Therefore I must download the .Net framework 4.0 from Microsoft in order to run that software, right?
    After that another software require .Net version 3.5 to run. Must I download and install .Net version 3.5? Or is it included in .Net version version 4.0???

Confused!!

So, is there backward compatible within .Net version 1.0 and 1.1 and 2.0 and 3.0 only? And the newer version (e.g. 3.5) can install on top of older version (3.0 for example) and so on ???

Confused!!

I'm new here and I sorry if I asked something wrong. Sorry about my bad English.

Thank you in advance!!
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:07 AM

Answers

• Hi!

Every program will use the version of the .NET Framework it is built for. The programs built under .NET Fw 1.0 will work with the .NET Fw 1.0, the ones developed for .NET Fw 3.0 will work with 3.0 and so on. There is no problem if you have more then one version of .NET Fw installed, they will not interfear with each other.

[quote]After that another software require .Net version 3.5 to run. Must I download and install .Net version 3.5? Or is it included in .Net version version 4.0???[/quote]
    You'll need both of them. And .NET Fw 4.0 does not exist yet. Here is a list of reasons why is best to have .NET Fw 2.0 along with 1.1 or 1.0: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa570326.aspx (list of major changes made to the framework)

[quote]So, is there backward compatible within .Net version 1.0 and 1.1 and 2.0 and 3.0 only? And the newer version (e.g. 3.5) can install on top of older version (3.0 for example) and so on ???[/quote]
    They are not installed on top of each other, but side by side.

Regards,
    Lucian Baciu, MCTS, http://studentclub.ro/lucians_weblog
    • Edited by Lucian BaciuMicrosoft employee Thursday, August 28, 2008 2:45 PM added link to list of major changes between various versions of .net fw
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Tuesday, September 2, 2008 3:02 AM
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 2:37 PM