Display the dates from a date range parameter in the column headers of a table RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for some help to be able to dynamically display a user entered date range (I'm using FromDate and ToDate as input) in the header columns of my table.  I seem to be able to display the 2 input dates (Parameters!FromDate.Value etc), but I would like to display every day of the range as my data will be reporting by specific days.

Any help is most appreciated.

JD
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 1:25 AM

Answers

• When you say that you want to display each date in the range as header columns, do you mean that you want to have one column per date in the range?  If so, I think that a matrix would be the best report design choice.  Using a date dimension table would easily resolve this.  By using an outer join to the dimension table, you can return and group on a date field which would include every date in the range.
    Paul Turley, MVP [Hitachi Consulting] SQLServerBIBlog.com
    • Proposed as answer by Jerry Nee Tuesday, October 6, 2009 7:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by 122jwest Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:48 AM
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 5:30 AM
  • Hi Paul, thanks so very much for pointing me in the right direction.  I am going to tackle this issue again so now I should be able to resolve it.

JD
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 9:08 PM

All replies

• When you say that you want to display each date in the range as header columns, do you mean that you want to have one column per date in the range?  If so, I think that a matrix would be the best report design choice.  Using a date dimension table would easily resolve this.  By using an outer join to the dimension table, you can return and group on a date field which would include every date in the range.
    Paul Turley, MVP [Hitachi Consulting] SQLServerBIBlog.com
    • Proposed as answer by Jerry Nee Tuesday, October 6, 2009 7:20 AM
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 5:30 AM
  • Hi Paul, thanks so very much for pointing me in the right direction.  I am going to tackle this issue again so now I should be able to resolve it.

JD
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 9:08 PM