none
Event Viewer errors

Question

• Hi,

I'm seeing a lot of Event Viewer entries with three errors below. Can anybody shed some light as to what is happening and how to go about troubleshooting these. I'm a Commerce Service novice that got into an existing installation so any lead would be helpfull no matter how basic it seems. We are running Commerce Server 2007 on Windows 2003 Server the front end is ASP.NET 2.0.

Any hint would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the errors:

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Commerce Server
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 4116
    Date:  11/27/2006
    Time:  4:14:54 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: WWW3
    Description:
    The Commerce Server runtime has detected that more than 132 instances of the SiteConfigReadOnlyFreeThreaded object have been created. Creating many SiteConfigReadOnlyFreeThreaded instances will negatively affect the performance of the site. Please refer to the Commerce Server documentation for the recommended use of the SiteConfigReadOnlyFreeThreaded object.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

------------------------------------

Event Type: Error
    Event ID: 28673
    Time:  4:12:00 PM
    Description:
    CSPerfCounters Component : Failed to create - 'Init from registry.'

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

---------------------------

Event Type: Information
    Event ID: 28676
    Time:  4:12:00 PM
    Description:
    CSPerfCounters Component : Error - 'Calling GetSites'

Thanks,

Alex

Monday, November 27, 2006 9:43 PM

Answers

• Alex,

I think the first error is Commerce Server telling you that you're creating way too many context objects instead of using the CommerceContext.Current property.  I think there are a few other classes that will cause this same error, but the basic idea is that your site isn't coded effeciently.  Most likely, someone decided to use the SiteAgent pattern in an ASP.Net context, which is just a waste of resources.  You can probably dig around your solution for the words "context.create" to find the cause of this.  Ideally, you shouldn't have to create a context in an asp.net solution.

Monday, November 27, 2006 10:47 PM
  • Alex,

The CSPerfCounters errors are likely harmless.  Double check your setup and make sure that you have setup permissions as outlined in the installation guides.  If the problem is repetative I would recommend opening a support case with Microsoft Support.  CSPerfCounters is the performance counters.  For some reason it is having a problem accessing the administration database.  If you don't want to call PSS you can try using Process Monitor and SQL Profiler to track down which identify is potentially causing an access denied.

Hope that helps,
    Colin

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 1:19 AM
  • Joe and Colin are both correct.

You are likely not using the SiteConfigFreeThreaded objects correctly. Ideally you should be creating only one of these per-site per process (actually per app-domain).

The Perf counter errors are because the user accessing the counters does not have read permissions (admin_reader role) in the Commerce MSCS_Admin database. This often happens when you try to access the Commerce perf counters remotely (not supported). It may also happen if the user that launches perfomance monitor mmc does not have permissions on the admin database.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 9:47 PM

All replies

• Alex,

I think the first error is Commerce Server telling you that you're creating way too many context objects instead of using the CommerceContext.Current property.  I think there are a few other classes that will cause this same error, but the basic idea is that your site isn't coded effeciently.  Most likely, someone decided to use the SiteAgent pattern in an ASP.Net context, which is just a waste of resources.  You can probably dig around your solution for the words "context.create" to find the cause of this.  Ideally, you shouldn't have to create a context in an asp.net solution.

Monday, November 27, 2006 10:47 PM
  • Alex,

The CSPerfCounters errors are likely harmless.  Double check your setup and make sure that you have setup permissions as outlined in the installation guides.  If the problem is repetative I would recommend opening a support case with Microsoft Support.  CSPerfCounters is the performance counters.  For some reason it is having a problem accessing the administration database.  If you don't want to call PSS you can try using Process Monitor and SQL Profiler to track down which identify is potentially causing an access denied.

Hope that helps,
    Colin

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 1:19 AM
  • Joe and Colin are both correct.

You are likely not using the SiteConfigFreeThreaded objects correctly. Ideally you should be creating only one of these per-site per process (actually per app-domain).

The Perf counter errors are because the user accessing the counters does not have read permissions (admin_reader role) in the Commerce MSCS_Admin database. This often happens when you try to access the Commerce perf counters remotely (not supported). It may also happen if the user that launches perfomance monitor mmc does not have permissions on the admin database.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 9:47 PM