AppCenter Custom event Properties RRS feed

• Question

• Hi community,

I'm stuck on something which i though would be easy, hoping someone can point out what i need to do! I've got AI Analytics for AppCenter hooked up to my iOS app, sending custom events successfully through. My custom events contain properties, which i also see coming through. But i can't work out how to pull them out to columns to then search/filter etc. Here's my base query:

customEvents
    | where name == "APIManagement"
    | project timestamp, properties = customDimensions.["Properties"]
    | sort by timestamp desc 
    | extend 

Properties are showing up in the  results, but i'm unable to extend them. How can i get them out to their own columns? When i try to use extend, or, use the "Extend Column" option on the properties (e.g. MethodName) i only get a blank column

Thursday, February 13, 2020 10:28 PM

Answers

• Thanks. I thought i had tried every combination of those, but finally i tried the option "Include" in the context menu, which generated this:

parse_json(tostring(customDimensions.Properties)

That's done the trick. For anyone with the same challenge, here's my final query:

customEvents
    | sort by timestamp desc
    | extend properties = todynamic(parse_json(tostring(customDimensions.Properties)))
    | project timestamp, operation_Id, properties
    | evaluate bag_unpack(properties)

Friday, February 14, 2020 11:52 AM

All replies

• There are multiple ways to create a column with each property, you'd need to use "| extend column = " and then get to the desired JSON depth level with either "[]" notation, "." notation or parse_json function depending on the underlying data type in that field, e.g. | extend Response = customDimensions.Properties.ResponseCode for pure JSON, or for string value:

T
    | extend d=parse_json(customDimensions["Properties"]) 
    | extend response=d.ResponseCode

You may also want to check mv_expand and bag_unpack for more complex scenarios.

Dmitry Matveev

Friday, February 14, 2020 2:34 AM
  • Thanks. I thought i had tried every combination of those, but finally i tried the option "Include" in the context menu, which generated this:

parse_json(tostring(customDimensions.Properties)

That's done the trick. For anyone with the same challenge, here's my final query:

customEvents
    | sort by timestamp desc
    | extend properties = todynamic(parse_json(tostring(customDimensions.Properties)))
    | project timestamp, operation_Id, properties
    | evaluate bag_unpack(properties)

Friday, February 14, 2020 11:52 AM
  • Hello Mark, 

Thanks for posting the solution that worked for you.

Please Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 4:03 AM