none
KinectExplorer in VB.NET RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know where I can find examples of the new Kinect SDK in VB and more specific a port of the KinectExplorer sample?

If it does not exist, can someone contribute so that it can be ported in VB.NET?

• Edited by abinop Thursday, February 23, 2012 12:20 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:16 AM

All replies

• Post the location of the source and i will update it as long as its not open ni related code and then you have to ask them in their forums if it is. I can port it to vb.net for you especially if its in c# or easy c++ source to understand. But for c++ it specially has to use kinect sdk because i havent used open ni code much.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Edited by The Thinker Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:22 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:22 PM
  • Thank you very much. The conversion, as I had done it (and gives specific problems) is located here 

Friday, February 24, 2012 10:36 AM
  • Im with you when I decide to move fully over to kinect for windows with v1 I will need vb.net samples too. kinect mouse is convert over though to v1 and I think they have a c# sample which would be easy to convert but might have a vb.net one too! heres the project page on codeplex.com for kinect mouse:

http://kinectmouse.codeplex.com

Dont worry im on my slow internet connection this weekend so I will take a look at it when I get back to my family members house I stay at because its close to work next week. I think the kinect explorer from description sounds like a overexatered version of wpfviewers from beta 2 with only one or two minor differences in features.

I would strongly recommend the kinect team get the vb.net samples on channel 9 upgraded to beta 1 because some are upgraded and the really nice ones are not upgraded yet to vb.net and c#

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Edited by The Thinker Friday, February 24, 2012 1:18 PM
    Friday, February 24, 2012 1:14 PM
  • Thank you. I downloaded and tried to run the kinectmouse VB code but I get the strange error

Error 2 Unable to write to output file 'C:\develop\kinect\kinectmouse\obj\x86\Debug\Microsoft.Kinect.Samples.CursorControl.pdb': System Error &H80004005& Microsoft.Kinect.Samples.CursorControl

It would be nice to have WPFViewers ported on vb as well.

Friday, February 24, 2012 1:35 PM
  • I saw someone on google that got that ported to vb.net i will post back as soon as i can. I noticed i can still use my xbox kinect on v1 but the full sdk has to be installed.  Go to source code on kinectmouse and they have a vb.net project listed for v1 sdk commerical so I will just post my multi-mouse version im working on with source here when done in vb.net and i will be willing to help people convert to c#: http://kinectmultipoint.codeplex.com

I can use java, c++ (not visual c++ and some methods), c#, vbscript, html, asp.net, some python for installer scripts, and some other weird lanugages here and their.

Heres the link to v1 vb.net source for kinect mouse i found on codeplex project page:

http://kinectmouse.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/changes/87983#

You should just be able to compile and use it like me.

From your error its sounds like you need to run as administrator: right click visual studio before opening-> run as administrator. Then you might have to open visual studio files using file->open project menu item manually instead of clicking on project solution this way but it makes sure you have a project that will not have permission errors or not able to open files.

Try this project page to help you out with kinect v1 commerical sdk in vb.net while waiting on my conversion:

http://kinectcontrib.codeplex.com/

they have v1 vb.net templates for starting out kinect projects in visual studio and i checked its an installer so no source code to mess with.

Yes i have depth, skeleton, and video templates to work after using the kinectcontrib installer in above link on codeplex.com so that should get you started for now.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - YodaMy

• Edited by The Thinker Friday, February 24, 2012 2:09 PM
    Friday, February 24, 2012 1:55 PM
  • I downloaded the vb version of kinectmouse  and gives me the error I mentioned. I have a clean install of v1 of Kinect SDK.
    Friday, February 24, 2012 1:59 PM
  • Did you try run as admin? Heres a picture of what i was talking about above:

Friday, February 24, 2012 2:12 PM
  • Yes, I have tried that with no success..
    Friday, February 24, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Yeah you didnt get any other read or access errors did you? usually when something from the output folder doesnt compile i get an access error and running as administrator helps. try first deleting everything in the output folder to see if any processes still have a hold on your files their. Next just recompile and tell me what happens

Friday, February 24, 2012 3:03 PM
  • Well, I found it by accident. Solution explorer was showing that the readme.txt file had a designer file that was coming along that had an exclamation next to it (as there was really no such file in the first place). I deleted the file and the project is working! thank you.
    Friday, February 24, 2012 3:16 PM
  • Im happy because i found out the full v1 sdk once installed supports xbox kinect too for testing purposes when trying out the samples! Okay try the templates next because they are three general templates to help you with any project you wish to start. Im thinking about using them because i tryed the same templates on beta 2 and they help people in vb.net, c#, and f# to use kinect.  A tip on kinect mouse to click with it by default settings it does a left click with the left hand but you can use the check box to reverse the hands you move and click with for people that are left handed.

I will try to convert the kinect explorer but it really looks like the wpfviewer example is already ported to vb.net here is the link to one someone converted. I think the kinect team that does the channel 9 articles should post this their on their samples page because looking them up gets confusing:

http://wtrns.fr/s4qf1Cio1s7J4cI

Im starting a sign language project what to help? I just need to save the skeleton data animation for one person to file after i make a recorder program and then I make the main program which saves skeleton data for the currently active user and compares against my recorded skeleton animation and then uses tts(text-to-speech) engine to output the word in speech that the person is signing.

• Edited by The Thinker Friday, February 24, 2012 3:41 PM
    Friday, February 24, 2012 3:29 PM
  • That is funny. This is the link I had also posted on stackoverflow trying to find some answer. That converted project gives me a specific error, you can see for yourself in case you can come up with some solution :)
    Friday, February 24, 2012 3:39 PM
  • Correct that is the stackoverflow one but I still wanted to show it to you.

Friday, February 24, 2012 3:42 PM