EF6.3+/.NET Core 3 web application, EDMX and classes as linked files RRS feed

All replies

• User1120430333 posted

We need to remain Database First but I would like to leverage .NET Core for a smaller project, which I believe is possible now.

EF Core has the existing database approach, which is not unlike EF 6 DB first, but Core uses no messy EDMX. And EF Core has the EF Core power tools that has a graphical interface that allows the selection of tables, which it too is not unlike the Entity model designer used by EF 6 DB first. 

There should be no need to use EF 6.3 + 1 for a new Core program that needs to build the EF model from an existing database.

Friday, January 24, 2020 8:37 PM
  • User-324734875 posted

Thanks for the suggestion DA, my understanding with EF Core was the existing database approach was intended as a way of generating the classes initially and then being driven into a code first approach for any further maintenance.

It sounds like I could use the EF Core existing database approach and maintain it (similar to updating the model from database in the EDMX) using the EF Core Power Tools if need be. I will look into this more, sounds like a much better approach.

Friday, January 24, 2020 8:58 PM
  • User1120430333 posted

Thanks for the suggestion DA, my understanding with EF Core was the existing database approach was intended as a way of generating the classes initially and then being driven into a code first approach for any further maintenance.

One could take a code first approach and directly maintenance the existing model manually after initially scaffolding the model from an existing database. One can also just make changes to the existing database schema, scaffold the new model to a staging folder, and copy/paste changes to the existing model in use and not destroy any special things the existing model in use may have implemented.

Saturday, January 25, 2020 9:12 AM