how to get service reference to my SL4 Domain service? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been working on a SL4 Business application using the Entity Data Model to access the backend database and DomainServices that generates the DomainContext from which my SL4 app relies for async calls to the database.

I'd like to write a small Windows Mobile 7 phone app that can access the domainservices that were created for my SL4 Business app.  So what I did was to open my VS2010 SL4 solution and added a new Windows Mobile databound project to the solution.  When I tried to add a service reference to the W7Project, it could not find the services.  I found that I could not even add references for the SL4 project or the SL4.Web project.  Now I'm really concerned, . . .

Doesn't the WCF RIA webservices create real services? and how do I access it from a W7 mobile application? 

Thanks

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 1:12 PM

Answers

• Hi.

Doesn't the WCF RIA webservices create real services? and how do I access it from a W7 mobile application? 

It does, but they're created dynamically. This means that there is no physical file or similar that describes the service, but it can be accessed using a certain naming standard at runtime. It's also possible to use the service from Windows Phone 7 when you expose an additional endpoint (e.g. a SOAP endpoint). Here is a very comprehensive tutorial on that (also shows the naming conventions of the services).

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 1:42 PM