Smart Device - able to connection to SQL Remotely or working locally RRS feed

• Question

• User1112075175 posted
    Hi,

I've been asked to look into a solution whereby a Windows CE.net device will have a Warehouse management application running locally - all connectivity is in the warehouse approx  300,000 sq ft. This software needs to update a SQL database remotely when a wireless connection is available. 
       The problem lies in that the warehouse contains "black spots" where wireless connectivity may not be possible. In this scenario the software should intelligently update a local SQL CE database. When the Reomote wireless connection becomes available the updates are then posted across.
       If anyone could point me in the direction of how this could be achieved it would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Lee

Wednesday, June 1, 2005 11:52 AM

All replies

• User-1361599924 posted

You're into the territory where you need a Compact Framework solution, rather than an ASP.NET solution.

The best book I've come across about this is "Building Solutions with the Microsoft.NET Compact Framework" ISBN 0321197887. Amongst other things, this has sections on the design considerations needed when synchronising local data stores with a central datastore etc.

Thursday, June 2, 2005 7:35 AM
  • User1112075175 posted

I am now writng a demo application that is running on the server and we are conecting via Remote Desktop from the Symbol MC3000 device. This application is a simple Product Enquiry application where the user can input a product code and data is returned on a Text_changed event.

I also need to action the data retrieval process when a valid barcode is scanned. Does any-one know how I would do this?

Cheers

Lee

Monday, June 6, 2005 6:45 AM