none
Physics simulation RRS feed

• Question

• I want to make a physics simulation type game on small basic. The main things i want  are realistic gravity and collision detection.  All I want is some sample code. Do you think what im trying to do is evem possible with small basic? Any replies are apreciated. Thank You!
    I am an unknown person from an unknown place. My age is between 1 and 100000000 and if you guess it right you won't win anything so there's no point in guessing it right or wrong or both.
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 8:06 PM

Answers

• With native (no extension) SmallBasic you can lean the basics with SmallBasic, but it will be slow.

You can try the extension at this thread based on the Box2D physics engine, where the calculations of the physics are done behind the scenes (fast), leaving just the setup and game-play to be written in SmallBasic.

Sunday, September 11, 2011 7:52 AM
  • Yes, it is like any other extension, just new commands that work with those existing already in SmallBasic - easiest is have a go - follow the links (first post of the thread linked to above) - I've added some documentation with a few very simple examples and a sample file I used for testing in the zip download to get the basic ideas.

Like all extensions, after downloading, add the dll and xml files to a lib directory (you may have to create the lib directory) inside the SmallBasic installation directory, usually:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Small Basic\lib OR C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Small Basic\lib

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:47 PM

All replies

• litdev?
    ~~AirWaves!!~~
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 8:40 PM
  • Search this Forum for "Physics" and you'll find some samples and discussions about this topic...

my opinion is yes it can be done, but Small Basic might not be the best tool to write it in.  Being a learning tool, it lacks the performance you might desire and your code is not reuseable (i.e. you can't create a engine or library to use over multiple projects)
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 5:43 AM
  • With native (no extension) SmallBasic you can lean the basics with SmallBasic, but it will be slow.

You can try the extension at this thread based on the Box2D physics engine, where the calculations of the physics are done behind the scenes (fast), leaving just the setup and game-play to be written in SmallBasic.

Sunday, September 11, 2011 7:52 AM
  • What is the box2D extension like. Does it it still look like small basic and just have aditional syntax available?

I am an unknown person from an unknown place. My age is between 1 and 100000000 and if you guess it right you won't win anything so there's no point in guessing it right or wrong or both.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:27 PM
  • Yes, it is like any other extension, just new commands that work with those existing already in SmallBasic - easiest is have a go - follow the links (first post of the thread linked to above) - I've added some documentation with a few very simple examples and a sample file I used for testing in the zip download to get the basic ideas.

Like all extensions, after downloading, add the dll and xml files to a lib directory (you may have to create the lib directory) inside the SmallBasic installation directory, usually:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Small Basic\lib OR C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Small Basic\lib

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:47 PM