Logon Failed in Crystal Reports Viewer RRS feed

• Question

•   Okay, now I'm really upset.  

A while back, I created a small Web app with a menu that lets you select a report, and then a web form that takes in the parameters for the report, and then a web form for each report.  I'm successfully using the Session object to transmit the parameters between the parameter page and the actual report page (web form), and then setting the parameters in the report document. 

The reports are all 'external' reports created in CR10. 
    Each report is a single main report pointing to a view in a SQL Server database using an ADO connection to the database.

Each web page (created in VS 2003 using CR.Net 10) has a viewer control and a report document control that points to a folder where the .rpt files are stored.
    The Viewer points to the report document.

CrystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = rptDailyTrans
    (set the parameters here)
    CrystalReportViewer1.DataBind()

This is the only coding I've had to do. I haven't had to code in any logon information at all because it seems to be picking it up from the report itself in the first application I created.

But, now I've created a new web app that should function exactly the same way.  I believe the rights and permissions are the same in IIS for both apps.  Certainly, all the reports connect the same way to SQL - they actually use the same SQL Server login to connect.  Aspnet has all the permissions it needs to the Inetpub folder.

I can get one of the new reports to connect and display in the original web project.  But I get a logon failure when I try to do the same in the new project.  I've even tried coding in the connection information, with no success.  I get prompted to reenter the logon information, but the report never displays.

So, what did I screw up?  How come my reports won't display?  Why won't they connect to SQL Server?

HELP!   These reports were due last Monday!  Any suggestions?  I can't figure out what could be different!

Thanks!
    Karen Grube

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 5:46 PM

Answers

• Hello Karen,

The Crystal Report file does not store the password for your secure database connections.  So that means to me that your original application must be setting the connection info or the report was created using Integrated Security.

To see if the report is using Integrated Security open it up in the report designer and go to Database|Set Datasource Location.  This will bring up a window, in here expand the properties and see if Integrated Security is set to true.

A good test would be to create a new simple report off of the SQL Server using a SQL Server user (not Integrated Security).  Then you can try running the report in your new web app and use the code to set the connection info properly.

Hopefully this will help you find a solution.

Keith - Business Objects

• Proposed as answer by neonprimetime Friday, July 18, 2008 5:44 PM
    Thursday, June 23, 2005 5:19 PM