Upgrading from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there... I am working on a plan to upgrade from SQL Server 2000 over to SQL Server 2012 but initially the plan is to move up to Server 2008 R2.  I have already done some work on this project but am having a bit of a problem and need some help/guidance. We have an old Windows 2000 server running SQL Server 2000 currently. I have a new Windows 2008 enterprise server running hyperV on which I have created a windows 2008 std VM specifically for the new version of SQL Server. I was hoping to find online a version of SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard but was unable to locate one and instead I downloaded and installed the "express" version of SQL Server 2008 R2. Once it was isntalled, I was then able to get a copy of my SQL server 2000 databases over to the SQL 2008 express instance on the new server and have been doing some testing with internal applications utilizing SQL 2008. The problem is that the express edition does not include all of the functionality that I need (for example, SQL Agent Jobs is not included as part of express), so I need to migrate to a different version. 

I then got my hands on a copy of SQL Server 2008 enterprise and thought I could upgrade my express instance but it will not allow me to do this. I am thinking that I need to download a copy of SQL Server 2008 R2 "Standard" and hopefully I will be able to do an in-place upgrade of my express version to that??

Can someone point me to where I can download the 180 day trial version of SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard and/or give me any additional info on what I could try??

Thanks, Brad

Brad Pears IT Services True North Log Homes Bracebridge, Ont. Canada

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:15 PM

Answers

• Hello Brad,

>>Can someone point me to where I can download the 180 day trial version of SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard and/or give me any additional info on what I could try??

You cannot obtain trial version of Standard edition .You will have to buy full license version of it.

Your question is mixed with SQL 2008 and 2008 R2 and you have used it interchangeably so its little confusing.

>>I then got my hands on a copy of SQL Server 2008 enterprise and thought I could upgrade my express instance but it will not allow me to do this. I am thinking that I need to download a copy of SQL Server 2008 R2 "Standard" and hopefully I will be able to do an in-place upgrade of my express version to that??

I assume you have your SQL 2000 database intact with you right? .Why not take backup from SQL 2000 and restore it on SQL server 2008 enterprise( you said you have it) .This will solve your issue.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

• Proposed as answer by Sofiya Li Wednesday, January 22, 2014 6:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Brad Pears Wednesday, January 22, 2014 7:29 PM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 6:07 AM

All replies

• Hello Brad,

>>Can someone point me to where I can download the 180 day trial version of SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard and/or give me any additional info on what I could try??

You cannot obtain trial version of Standard edition .You will have to buy full license version of it.

Your question is mixed with SQL 2008 and 2008 R2 and you have used it interchangeably so its little confusing.

>>I then got my hands on a copy of SQL Server 2008 enterprise and thought I could upgrade my express instance but it will not allow me to do this. I am thinking that I need to download a copy of SQL Server 2008 R2 "Standard" and hopefully I will be able to do an in-place upgrade of my express version to that??

I assume you have your SQL 2000 database intact with you right? .Why not take backup from SQL 2000 and restore it on SQL server 2008 enterprise( you said you have it) .This will solve your issue.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

• Proposed as answer by Sofiya Li Wednesday, January 22, 2014 6:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Brad Pears Wednesday, January 22, 2014 7:29 PM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 6:07 AM
  • Sorry, yes it's all SQL Server 2008 R2... I am just going to completely uninstall the express version and install the trial "enterprise" version, restore my databases over from 2000 and go from there...  Thanks for your help...

brad

Brad Pears IT Services True North Log Homes Bracebridge, Ont. Canada

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 7:29 PM