none
Kinect V2 Infrared range question. RRS feed

• Question

• When running the various infraredbasics samples provided with the V2 Sdk I get a mostly black screen unless I place my hand within about 3 feet in front of the Kinect sensor. Or if I stand within about 5 feet of the sensor.

If I remember correctly, when watching the V2 jumpstart the infrared samples I saw there showed the entire area being detected in the infrared samples shown.

My area where I am doing the testing is well lighted but I tried with the lights off, except for my monitors, and that did not make a difference.

What was the difference between the V2 Jumpstart samples and the Sdk InfraredBasics sample code? Or am I just mistaken about the range of the infrared data.

I have the latest drivers installed from NVidia for my graphics cards.
    • Edited by gclayton Friday, July 18, 2014 4:24 AM
    Friday, July 18, 2014 4:22 AM

Answers

• If you are able to see any IR, then the issue with the driver is not the problem.

What might be causing the issue has to do with monitor settings. You can try to adjust the brightness/contrast, but depending on the monitor this might now work for you. The other is changing the gamma of your monitor. There are calibrators and other tools in Windows that you can run to ensure you get the best range of possible options.

Because of the way IR data is, the samples just clip the values and show a greyscale representation. In the Kinect Evolution sample it uses a shader to adjust the values to get a better display that range of values.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, July 21, 2014 6:06 PM