Running Coded UI Test without VS 2010, Test Agent and Test Controller RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to run developed CUIT tests in other machines.

1) Is there way to run tests without VS2010, Test Agent and Test Controller like normal GUI application?

2) If there is way to run test with only Test Agent, can you help me with the steps? (as per this link )

Thanks,

Maniraj

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:34 PM

All replies

• Refer the following

Running tests using agents..

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd553270%28VS.100%29.aspx

---Mark the right post at right time---
    Cheers
    FunnyFox
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:06 PM
  • Thanks for your input. But I am looking to run test without Test Controller, if possible without both Test Agent and Test Controller just like normal application developed from VS.

Thanks,

Maniraj

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:09 PM
  • i have the same requirement to run coded ui test case without VS, i don't want to use test control and agents because we already put our own test management and run tool in place.
    totta wang
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:20 AM
  • Hi

We create our CodedUi tests using Axe and then execute the tests on seperate clients.

We installed the Test Agent software on the clients.

Our process is as follows:

1. Get latest to test automation client

2. Remote into test automation client and execute the automated tests

Currently we do not execute our tests using the Test Controller or Agent, we run a batch file on the automation client.

Hope that helps

Marc

Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:15 AM
  • Axe is a commercial tool and I prefer to find a free, light weight approach to run Coded UI without VS and integrate with our built-in distributed runner.

I did find a blog to illustrate some idea to copy some dll files from VS before but now seems it's not available..

So my idea at current point is to perform some code change on NUnit to accept Coded UI test class and method. I guess that should works for my case.

totta wang
    Monday, October 25, 2010 5:38 AM
  • Hi

I did not mean that you needed to buy Axe, what I meant was that if you install the Test Agents on a computer, you can then run coded ui tests on that computer using mstest from the command line.

Marc

• Proposed as answer by Rakitha Perera Wednesday, December 1, 2010 3:55 AM
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:05 PM
  • hi marc, thanks for your reply , does this mean we can't run CUITs remotely, without binding them to Build task and Test Plan etc ... using TFS2010 ?

if possible can you please forward me/us the batch file [a sample ] you have created to run them on Automation client

further i have couple of questions ,

1. how you have managed to take latest when you don't have VS2010 on client ?

2. when CUIT can't run when system is locked then how you have managed run them from a batch file ?  i mean - say

1.  I have automation client  which is a Desktop PC with Test Agent [ if require VS2010 Ultimate ]

2.  remote into client, [ but local to Client desktop is going to be clocked ]

3.  take latest of the automation scripts say from a source control - TFS 2008 /2010  etc ... 

4.  now using your batch file / mstest.exe we launch the tests

5.  but since client is now locally got locked does it work ?

any help is appreciated

thanks
    subbu

dotnetbee
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:44 AM
  • Hi All,

I have the same requirement "need to execute Coded UI test without VS2010". I have read all above comments but still not so confident. It will be very helpful if somebody shares the basic steps to achieve this.

Any help is appreciated !

Regards,

Ankur

Ankur Saini

Thursday, June 28, 2012 4:56 AM
  • Well I have the same question , where I need to run a Coded UI on a remote machine.

Having a test agent on the client is the best thing to do ?

Thanks

Indrojeet

Saturday, July 21, 2012 1:54 AM
  • Hi Indrojeet,

Yes, you are right. If test agent is on the client machine and is properly connected with Test Controller then there is no need to have a VS 2010 on the client machine.

Ankur Saini

• Proposed as answer by Saini Ankur Monday, July 23, 2012 5:27 AM
    Monday, July 23, 2012 5:27 AM
  • Thanks Ankur .But I want to understand , how will the test controller or Test agent run a codedui test.

Saying that, I already have a controller and agent already setup and both properly connected, but how to I run a codedui now.

Like how will controller/agent know what test to run (I don't have MTM or TFS setup) . Can you please guide me, the more I read the more I get confused :)

Thanks,

Indrojeet

Indrojeet

Monday, July 23, 2012 6:19 PM
  •  Hi Indrojeet,

It is very simple. If you are not using MTM or TFS, u can execute the test in the same way ( means from Test View, from Test itself  etc...) how you execute it for local execution using VS 2010. The only difference in the execution will be that this time the test will execute at test Agent instead of local machine.

Hope it makes some sense ....

Ankur Saini

• Proposed as answer by Saini Ankur Tuesday, July 24, 2012 4:06 AM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 4:06 AM
  • Hi Ankur,

That does make a lot of sense. I saw your answer and I think i still understand a part of it. I have dropped you an email on your gmail id to discuss this issue offline. Please respond.

Thanks

Indrojeet

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 1:33 PM
  • Thanks for your input. But I am looking to run test without Test Controller, if possible without both Test Agent and Test Controller just like normal application developed from VS.

Thanks,

Maniraj

I have the same question actually. I'm aware that Coded Ui tests can be run remotely using Visual Studio or Test Agent and Controller, and have implemented it. But are these the only options? (For Test agent I need to install the Test Agent on every machine)

Is there any other way to run the tests remotely(simply like a batch file or so)? As per my understanding, mstest can achieve it, but that would require all the dlls to be copied and thus might not run the latest code.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:41 PM
  • Yes you need to install Test Agent on every machine.

Mstest can help you run the coded UI test from command line (I am doing the same right now), and yes that will required the dlls .

Indrojeet

Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:31 PM
  • Hi Indrojeet,

Could you pls kindly provide details steps how to get coded ui tests to run on pc that has only test agent installed?

Thanks,

Thursday, December 6, 2012 9:45 PM