having trouble installing my app after publishing RRS feed

• Question

• i can publish my app fine.  it creates the setup and the rest of the files, whatever they are.  on my operating system, the setup runs fine.  when trying to install it on another system, it asks for the microsoft 3.5.net.  this update can take quite a while.

my question is, how can i publish my app, in such a way that it can run from the files in the setup and not have to have any other addons, as .net framework.
    i know it's possible, since i was able to install other software before i had the .net framework...

do reply, in detail.

trujade...
    so much work to do and so many choices to choose from...
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 8:05 PM

Answers

• The 2.8 megs is the bootstrapper where as the 197 megs is the full package. Don't worry about including the full package with your app. The bootstrapper will be fine. The big download is the .NET 2.0. There was significant upgrades in the Framework from 1.1 to 2.0, which makes it a big install. The additions after that are just incremental updates to the 2.0 platform.

So of course it will take a while to download/install because it's installing the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 and the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. Windows Vista comes with .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 and Windows 7 comes with .NET 4.0 (only Beta at this stage). Windows XP on the other hand doesn't come with any of the crucial CLR components from .NET 2.0 required for running managed programs.

As for the DLL files you mentioned, the .NET Framework End User License Agreemet prevents the distribution of only the required DLLs in a program. It's fair enough, but can be quite a pain. I guess the only option for a lot of developers is to stick in a ReadMe explaining what the deal is with the long .NET installation time.
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 9:19 PM
  • What you can do, in your program
    1) check which version of .NET your program is on
    2) check if the version is installed, if not, let the user know that they have to install .net for the program to run. also you can give the user option to download .net now or later. if now, then open the download link from your program

This link below provide detail on how to check which version of .net installed.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/kb00318785.aspx

kaymaf

I hope this helps, if that is what you want, just mark it as answer so that we can move on
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 9:40 PM
  • since you are developing application in .net, .net framework is pre-requisite on all the machines you are planning to deploy.

one option is to download the .net framework and put is along with your setup file.

Thanks,
    A.m.a.L
    .Net Goodies
    Remember to click "mark as answered" when you get a correct reply to your question
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 8:18 PM
  • You can create your application with all versions of the .NET framework so for eg.

1. MyApp (.NET 2.0)
    2. MyApp (.NET 3.5)

etc...

This will save people from having to download the new framework however they might aswell because most software now requires 3.5 anyway.
    Snippets & Tutorials
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 9:59 PM

All replies

• since you are developing application in .net, .net framework is pre-requisite on all the machines you are planning to deploy.

one option is to download the .net framework and put is along with your setup file.

Thanks,
    A.m.a.L
    .Net Goodies
    Remember to click "mark as answered" when you get a correct reply to your question
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 8:18 PM
  • thanx amal..

one more question.. the .net framework from this link
    is 2.8 mb.
    Download details: .NET Framework 3.5 Service pack 1
    now, when i installed it on my pc the first time, i'm pretty sure it was far more larger in size than that.  i just downloaded the .net framework from the above link and ran the setup, but i got a error.. not worried.  probably because i already have .net framework installed..

anyways, is 2.8 mb the actual size of the .net framework, or is there more to it... if it's the actual size, then it would not be a problem adding it to my setup folder, but if it's greater than that,  i don't think any user would agree to having to wait for other applications to setup and such..

i ended up running the setup for the .net framework on the other pc, earlier,  the download was quick, just the installing took forever, so i gave up.  is this something i should be worried about?

Saturday, May 30, 2009 8:32 PM
  • Here is the link for complete installer.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/0/f/60fc5854-3cb8-4892-b6db-bd4f42510f28/dotnetfx35.exe

Thanks,
    A.m.a.L
    .Net Goodies
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 8:35 PM
  • so basically, my 818 kb (including the setup) needs to wait until 197 mb's are downloaded and installed in order for my app to run?

i don't agree, and i'm sure the user would definately dissaprove.. is there any other way around it?  are there dll files or so, that could be added to the setup to bypass this?

Saturday, May 30, 2009 8:44 PM
  • User wont wait, i agree. Thats the reason i said, you download it and place it along with your setup file.

There is no other option, the user machine must have .net framework installed.

Thanks,
    A.m.a.L
    .Net Goodies
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 8:46 PM
  • thanx amal.. that sux, really.. pardon my language...

i'll leave this thread unanswered, maybe someone else might have something to add to it, or until martin xie decides to mark as answer.. ;o)

trujade...

Saturday, May 30, 2009 8:49 PM
  • The 2.8 megs is the bootstrapper where as the 197 megs is the full package. Don't worry about including the full package with your app. The bootstrapper will be fine. The big download is the .NET 2.0. There was significant upgrades in the Framework from 1.1 to 2.0, which makes it a big install. The additions after that are just incremental updates to the 2.0 platform.

So of course it will take a while to download/install because it's installing the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 and the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. Windows Vista comes with .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 and Windows 7 comes with .NET 4.0 (only Beta at this stage). Windows XP on the other hand doesn't come with any of the crucial CLR components from .NET 2.0 required for running managed programs.

As for the DLL files you mentioned, the .NET Framework End User License Agreemet prevents the distribution of only the required DLLs in a program. It's fair enough, but can be quite a pain. I guess the only option for a lot of developers is to stick in a ReadMe explaining what the deal is with the long .NET installation time.
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 9:19 PM
  • thanx for the ReadMe information etisoppo..

Saturday, May 30, 2009 9:23 PM
  • What you can do, in your program
    1) check which version of .NET your program is on
    2) check if the version is installed, if not, let the user know that they have to install .net for the program to run. also you can give the user option to download .net now or later. if now, then open the download link from your program

This link below provide detail on how to check which version of .net installed.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/kb00318785.aspx

kaymaf

I hope this helps, if that is what you want, just mark it as answer so that we can move on
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 9:40 PM
  • You can create your application with all versions of the .NET framework so for eg.

1. MyApp (.NET 2.0)
    2. MyApp (.NET 3.5)

etc...

This will save people from having to download the new framework however they might aswell because most software now requires 3.5 anyway.
    Snippets & Tutorials
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 9:59 PM
  • kaymaf,
    you posted "if now, then open the download link from your program".. how is that possible if my app wont run unless .net framework is installed?

"option to download .net now or later".  if later, can i still have my app install and run but not use the .net framework if it does require so?

Saturday, May 30, 2009 10:00 PM
  • jarrad.. "You can create your application with all versions of the .NET framework so for eg."

how so..

Saturday, May 30, 2009 10:05 PM
  • kaymaf,
    you posted "if now, then open the download link from your program".. how is that possible if my app wont run unless .net framework is installed?

"option to download .net now or later".  if later, can i still have my app install and run but not use the .net framework if it does require so?

For doing this you need to use Setup and deployment project.

Keep this in mind, application wont run if .net is not installed.

Thanks,
    A.m.a.L
    .Net Goodies
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 10:07 PM
  • jarrad.. "You can create your application with all versions of the .NET framework so for eg."

how so..

If you want to develop application in .net 1.1 then use Visual studio 2003.

For 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 you can use Visual studio 2008. While adding a new project there is an option using which you can select 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5
    Thanks,
    A.m.a.L
    .Net Goodies
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 10:08 PM
  • a.m.a.L"For 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 you can use Visual studio 2008. While adding a new project there is an option using which you can select 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5"

if i choose to use 2.o, other than the different options to choose from the new project window being less than a 3.5 framework, wil my app respond the same as now if it's just a basic windows application?
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 10:24 PM
  • Your problem is not about which .net framework you use, you want to make sure the .net is installed on the user computer and the best way to do this is to use Setup and deployment or any other installer software

kaymaf
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 10:34 PM
  • thanx kaymaf..

what i meant, was mostly for the size of the .net framework, since 2.o is smaller in size and quicker to install.

Saturday, May 30, 2009 10:36 PM
  • the one you needs is called bootstrapper and is just 2.8MB, the 197Mb is full size for developer.
    kaymaf
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 10:44 PM
  • that's way too much for anyone who doesn't use .net framework regularly like we do for vb.net. 2.o net is only 22.4 mb.. seems like a more reasonable way to go..

Saturday, May 30, 2009 10:47 PM