Can I dual boot windows 8 on a laptop with win 7 on it.

Question

• I fairly new to this dual booting. I would like to know if it is possible to do a dual boot with windows 7/64 bit on a laptop ? The laptop has 4gigs of ramm, dual core AMDx2 or 64 something. 320gig HDD with a partition of 50 gigs for win 8, an ATI radon grafic card built in, high def screen with led back lighting. If there is a good answer , I would like to know and thank you all ahead of time for your help.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:00 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can dual boot. Here is a guide:

http://www.howtogeek.com/74335/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-and-windows-8/

Please note:

The Windows Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment. The features and functionality in the prerelease software may not appear in the final version. Some product features and functionality may require advanced or additional hardware, or installation of other software.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:03 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can dual boot. Here is a guide:

http://www.howtogeek.com/74335/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-and-windows-8/

Please note:

The Windows Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment. The features and functionality in the prerelease software may not appear in the final version. Some product features and functionality may require advanced or additional hardware, or installation of other software.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:03 PM
  • Thanks Trekdozer, I did that but used the 64bit version. It went fine, but the green panels never came up as it shows in the guide link you posted. It just went to auto restart and when I chose win8 dev. and pressed enter. it said It could not run win8 on my machine. As I stated my machine has the horses to handle it. I downloaded the 32bit version and will try that . Thanks again for the link, I'll post if the lesser version works any better. If not, I'll have to buy a second hand box to put it on.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:05 PM
  • The 32 bit version installed very good to the partition. Booted up properly, slow on boot up and slow on the shutdown. You have to log off first then wait a while,and then it allows you to shut down the power. I hope it gets faster as it  grows in usage. I am going to give it a chance to grow on me. But,I'm not sure if I like it at this time.  It is strange to me , because I am not a smart phone user. I did find my way around some and got a few things done with it.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:47 PM