none
rename user-defined field without losing current data RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have several user-defined fields in my contacts and I need to rename one of them without losing the existing information stored in it

Is this possible?

If so how can I do it?

Darren Rose

Saturday, September 27, 2014 9:31 PM

Answers

• Hello Darren,

No, it is not. Instead, you may consider creating a new one and copy the value. Then you can remove the old user property.
    Saturday, September 27, 2014 10:39 PM
  • Darren,

> Has anyone ever tried Data Fields Manager or Contact Genie Toolkit - as both these reckon they can do it?

I'd suggest asking non-programming questions on the Outlook IT Pro Discussions forum. The current forum is for programming questions.

> how can I copy values from one field to another?

The Value property of the UserProperty class can be used for returning or setting the value. It indicates the value for the specified custom property.

The Add method creates a new user property in the UserProperties collection, for example:

Sub AddUserProperty() 
     Dim myItem As Outlook.ContactItem 
     Dim myUserProperty As Outlook.UserProperty 

Set myItem = Application.CreateItem(olContactItem) 
     Set myUserProperty = myItem.UserProperties _ 
     .Add("Details", olText) 
     myUserProperty.Value = "Neighbor" 
     myItem.Display 
    End Sub

The Remove method removes an object from the UserProperties collection.

Finally, I'd recommend reading the Getting Started with VBA in Outlook 2010 article to get a basic understanding of VBA programming in Outlook.

Sunday, September 28, 2014 1:10 PM

All replies

• Hello Darren,

No, it is not. Instead, you may consider creating a new one and copy the value. Then you can remove the old user property.
    Saturday, September 27, 2014 10:39 PM
  • okay, how can I copy values from one field to another?

Has anyone ever tried Data Fields Manager or Contact Genie Toolkit - as both these reckon they can do it?

Darren Rose

Saturday, September 27, 2014 11:26 PM
  • Darren,

> Has anyone ever tried Data Fields Manager or Contact Genie Toolkit - as both these reckon they can do it?

I'd suggest asking non-programming questions on the Outlook IT Pro Discussions forum. The current forum is for programming questions.

> how can I copy values from one field to another?

The Value property of the UserProperty class can be used for returning or setting the value. It indicates the value for the specified custom property.

The Add method creates a new user property in the UserProperties collection, for example:

Sub AddUserProperty() 
     Dim myItem As Outlook.ContactItem 
     Dim myUserProperty As Outlook.UserProperty 

Set myItem = Application.CreateItem(olContactItem) 
     Set myUserProperty = myItem.UserProperties _ 
     .Add("Details", olText) 
     myUserProperty.Value = "Neighbor" 
     myItem.Display 
    End Sub

The Remove method removes an object from the UserProperties collection.

Finally, I'd recommend reading the Getting Started with VBA in Outlook 2010 article to get a basic understanding of VBA programming in Outlook.

Sunday, September 28, 2014 1:10 PM