none
Windows10 and Server R12 Application Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Brief background: Application developed using VS 2012. VB.Net Typical three-tier client server application.I have an R12  server hosting a database access component and a business layer(sql). (Framework 4.03) The client makes calls thru this DBBroker (the broker queries the file containing the sql for the request), the sql is executed and data or error is returned.
    Data can be requested to be returned to the client as either an array(ie Result as Object) or dataset.

I have an existing R8 server hosting the same component setup but built with the Framework 2.

The client is VB.Net, VS 2012, Framework2, hosted on either a Windows 7 or now a few Windows 10 machines.

Issue: The clients that are hosted on either the Win7 or Win10 machines can access the R8 server and return data. The client that is hosted on the Win7 machine can access the R12 server and return data. The client that is hosted on the Win10 machine returns an error when an sql statement is attempting to be executed on the R12 server. It does not appear to be a database error-when querying the return dataset, no error message is returned, just the word ERROR which is used as constant to identify the return as an error. This is true for requests by array or dataset.

Monday, September 18, 2017 5:07 PM

All replies

• Brief background: Application developed using VS 2012. VB.Net Typical three-tier client server application.I have an R12  server hosting a database access component and a business layer(sql). (Framework 4.03) The client makes calls thru this DBBroker (the broker queries the file containing the sql for the request), the sql is executed and data or error is returned.
    Data can be requested to be returned to the client as either an array(ie Result as Object) or dataset.

I have an existing R8 server hosting the same component setup but built with the Framework 2.

The client is VB.Net, VS 2012, Framework2, hosted on either a Windows 7 or now a few Windows 10 machines.

Issue: The clients that are hosted on either the Win7 or Win10 machines can access the R8 server and return data. The client that is hosted on the Win7 machine can access the R12 server and return data. The client that is hosted on the Win10 machine returns an error when an sql statement is attempting to be executed on the R12 server. It does not appear to be a database error-when querying the return dataset, no error message is returned, just the word ERROR which is used as constant to identify the return as an error. This is true for requests by array or dataset.

Hi jimge,

According to your description, you have one vb.net application. It hosts on either the win7 or win10 machines, you said that you have error message on win10 when an sql statement is attempting to be executed on the R12 server. Can you tell me what is R12 Server and R8 Server?

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 8:01 AM
  • Hello Cherry,

The R12 server is running the 64 bit Windows Server 2012 OS.

The R8 server is running the 64 bit Windows Server 2008 R2 OS.

Regards, Jim

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 1:29 PM
  • Hi jimge,

Do you try to turn off windows like firewalls? Because you said that It does not appear to be a database error-when querying the return dataset, so I think it might be related to windows related settings.

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 9:43 AM
  • It seems to me that you should be using a WCF service over tcp/ip. One service that all clients consume on one server machine.  WCF is a much more reliable and stable solution than some in-house written solution in using client/service and SOA.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 12:10 PM