Slow download from Azure Blob Storage RRS feed

• Question

• We're hosting a zip file of images that gets downloaded into a mobile app, and we noticed it was taking an unreasonably long time to download. Initially we were downloading through our azure web api, but then even a direct download from azure blob was downloading at 200-300mbs. This means a 4mb file is taking half a minute to download, which is ridiculous.

Our internet speed measures at 90mbps, so that certainly isn't the bottleneck...

Here's the file:

https://auctions.blob.core.windows.net/auction/15/15.zip

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 7:55 PM

All replies

• Azure published 60 MB/s scalability target for a single blob. If the network and client machine can handle the traffic, then we will send it.

Here's a guide for troubleshooting high E2E latency:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/common/storage-monitoring-diagnosing-troubleshooting#metrics-show-high-AverageE2ELatency-and-low-AverageServerLatency

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 8:09 PM
  • Bizarre, so we logged into an external VPS we have access to and tested the download, and it downloaded nice and fast, over 5mbps. Downloading a file from dropbox on work computer also clocks in at 5mbps. So there seems to be something on our network slowing down transfers from azure. 

Investigating further, will post what i find in case it helps someone else...

• Marked as answer by Adam Smith (Azure) Wednesday, February 21, 2018 7:07 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by krubbaka Wednesday, February 21, 2018 8:41 PM
    Tuesday, December 5, 2017 8:32 PM
  • Do let us know outcome of your investigation. 

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members

Thursday, December 7, 2017 12:39 PM
  • So further testing shows that from a couple of different computers in edmonton, alberta, the average download speed varies between 200-500 kbps. Our VPS is out of Toronto, and it was downloading at over 5 mbps.

I would blame the remote nature of Edmonton, except that dropbox files download at close to 5 mbps.

So it would seem Azure Storage just has really crappy routing to Edmonton :(

Thursday, December 7, 2017 4:06 PM
  • @krubbaka: We’ll need additional information to be able to troubleshoot what seems to be a network device throughput or internet connection bottleneck issue so could you please open a support request.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Monday, January 15, 2018 2:11 AM
  • Someone marked a thread above as answered where i potentially blamed my own network, but subsequent investigation proved that to not be the case. We've tested speeds from multiple different internet providers and speeds range from 500k to 2.5mb, a far cry from the 60mb claimed by azure.

Unfortunately i'm not inclined to subscribe to a support plan for 6 months to pay for MS to look into an issue that appears to be systemic, at least from Edmonton. Given pretty rich bandwidth pricing compared to some alternatives, and lack of MS looking to fix their own problem, we'll likely look at alternative file hosting. 

• Marked as answer by krubbaka Wednesday, February 21, 2018 8:46 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Adam Smith (Azure) Thursday, February 22, 2018 4:16 PM
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 8:46 PM
  • Krubbaka, 

I was under the impression that the issue was specifically caused by the remote location connections outside of Azure and in Alberta. We can still help you :) ! Could you send me your subscription ID, resource group where the blob is located to this Email Address: azcommunity[AT]Microsoft.com , please add "attn:Adam Smith" in the subject field and a link to this thread, I'll enable a free support ticket for this matter.

Thanks, 
    Adam
    Thursday, February 22, 2018 4:42 PM