none
IR Emitter Turn Off / Two Kinects RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently starting a project that uses two Kinect sensors. My first question is is there a way to turn of the IR emitter in the Kinect in the SDK downloaded Kinect Studio v2.0 GUI - not a separate code/program.

My second question is is there a way to run two Kinects on one computer in two different programs.

Thank you in advance.

Thursday, May 28, 2015 2:29 PM

All replies

• I have not been working on this, but I remember other posts where people asked the same things and it was not possible: you cannot turn off the IR emitter and you cannot connect two Kinects two the same computer (due to USB 3.0 bandwidth, I think). Some people were working with two Kinects in two different computers connected so they could pass Kinect data through their network connection.
    Friday, May 29, 2015 7:57 AM
  • It is correct you cannot "turn off" the emitter, you can tell the sensor to close and as long as it is the only application using the sensor the emitter will effectively turn off. Given time of light technology, the majority of the time the sensors will not interfere with each other, but may gradually phase in-out of sync with each other. This is non-deterministic and would be difficult to know if any devices would interfere and when. What you will find is the frame data would be "corrupt" (more unknown depth values over a particular threshold you might consider).

You cannot run 2 devices on the same machine given the bandwidth issues that can occur. There may be certain machines configurations the might be technically possible, we do not enable that scenario with the SDK.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Friday, May 29, 2015 5:18 PM