Inherit from Selector RRS feed

• Question

• I am about to create a custom control that inherits from Selector then the compiler tells me

Error    4    The type 'Windows.UI.Xaml.Controls.Primitives.Selector' has no constructors defined

Looks like Selector's constructor is defined as protected internal.  Why?

Saturday, August 10, 2013 11:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• The Selector was not implemented to be publically inheritable. I don't have any details on why.

--Rob

Sunday, August 11, 2013 1:07 AM
  • Yea, I guessed so.  I just wanted to complain.  It would be a useful class to be able to inherit from.
    • Proposed as answer by AtmosSA Monday, August 12, 2013 1:29 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by AtmosSA Monday, August 12, 2013 1:30 PM
    Sunday, August 11, 2013 1:48 AM
  • You can inherit from Combobox and ListView / ListBox.

Customize these control's style to your liking. (In my case I edited a combobox to have an edible TextBox inside it)

Example:

Drag a Combobox or ListBox from your toolbox onto the page. (Try a blank page on a test solution first)

Right Click on it > Edit Template > Edit a copy.

This will copy the control style template to your blank page, now you can edit it to your liking.

Tip : Don't delete any 'parts' out of the style, instead change the Visibility to Collapsed. Otherwise errors might occur.

Next:

Now you can override the "OnApplyTemplate" method in your custom control to grab and write custom code for it.

In my case I created a TextBox inside the template, I can get a reference to this TextBox by using: GetTemplatedChild("nameOfTextBox") as TextBox;

Now you can hook up events and white code to use the custom control.

----

This answer might not be perfect, but it definitely helps if you want the standard controls extended just a bit.

Regards Atmos

• Edited by AtmosSA Monday, August 12, 2013 1:39 PM Typo
    Monday, August 12, 2013 1:39 PM