Automatic folder hierarchy creation and upload file RRS feed

• Question

• I have following use case:

1) User scans a document which has a unique identifier say a barcode.

2) As the system scans the barcode it retrieves the information encoded.

3) On the basis of that info SharePoint automatically creates a Folder hierarchy and stores the document there.

for example ABC_Hospital-->Patient-->Prescriptions-->Scanned prescription.

4) Next time another prescription belonging to same patient is scanned, it automatically saves it in the right folder, same as above.

What I want to know is that how can we configure in SharePoint 2013, the automatic creation of folder hierarchy on the basis of some information provided with the document. i.e SharePoint should be able to create a folder hierarchy and store the document at its right place.

Thanks

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 11:32 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that you want to create folder hierarchy and upload the document to the folder automatically after you scan the barcode.

I suggest you can create a console application with Server Object Model to create the folder and upload docuprogram in the docuement library based on the barcode information. When you scaning the barcode next time, then you can check if the folder exists, if exists, then uploading document directly.

Here are some detailed code demos for your reference:

create folder hierarchy programmatically

Upload document programmatically

Thanks

Best Regards,

Jerry Guo

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 6, 2015 7:46 AM
  • Thanks Jerry

But is there no way to do it without creating a separate application.

1) Can workflows handle this case in SharePoint (Office 365)?

2) Is there any way for barcode recognition in SharePoint. Any app supporting this if not OOTB?

Regards

Sunday, March 8, 2015 6:04 AM
  • Hi,

As you need to get the barcode information firstly and then create folder hierarchy and upload document, workflow is not enough to achieve it your requirement.

If your environment is Office 365, I suggest you can create folder hierarchy and upload document using Client Object Model.

Here are some detailed code demos for your reference:

Call O365 using CSOM with a Console Application

Creating Nested Folders via Client Object Model

Upload documents using Client Object Model

About bar code recognition tool for Office 365, I suggest you can create a post in Office 365 forum, you will get more detailed information from there.

http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/default.aspx

Thanks

Best Regards,

Jerry Guo

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Eric Tao Wednesday, March 25, 2015 5:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Eric Tao Saturday, March 28, 2015 10:48 AM
    Thursday, March 12, 2015 4:48 AM