none
Problems removing shared borders in Frontpage 2002. Anyone have problems removing the shared borders when trying to convert to Expression Web? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys,

I'm having trouble removing the shared borders on all the pages of my web site in Front Page 2002.  I followed the step by step directions from this link:

http://expression.microsoft.com/en-us/dd570025

It seems that only half of the pages shared borders are removed even when I selected "All Pages" under Shared Borders in Front Page.  I am trying to convert to a Dynamic Web Template in Expression Web. 

Does anyone else seem to have the same problem?  I noticed I can manually remove the shared borders on the remaining pages, but since it's a big site it is really a pain. 

Friday, July 8, 2011 4:19 PM

All replies

• There are two types of shared border:
    1) Default borders, where the page has a meta tag similar to
    <meta content="tlb,default" name="Microsoft Border" />
    2) unique borders, where the meta tag is similar to
    <meta content="tlb" name="Microsoft Border" />

Note the word "default" in the first case.

The method described will remove borders from all "default" type pages, but the "unique" pages have to be done individually - even if the shared borders used are the same as in the default case.

The fast way is to remove the default borders, then either use the FrontPage shared borders report or do a global search for "Microsoft Border" (without the quotes), and deal with each page found.
    If the remaining pages all have the same borders (say top and left), the a global search and replace for the meta tag in one of the pages will remove the borders. (replace with "")
    Note that Expression Web 4 may destroy any pages that retain shared borders.

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Friday, July 8, 2011 5:34 PM
  • Hey there,

Thanks for the tips on how to remove the shared borders in Frontpage 2002.  After removing the "default border" pages I noticed in the html view (or design view) the meta tag (<meta content="tlb,default" name="Microsoft Border") was still visible.  Is this normal? 

I also noticed in some pages of my web the metal tags are slightly different.  Here are some of the tags I found:

<meta name="Microsoft Border" content="t">  (unique border?)

<meta name="Microsoft Border" content="t, default">  (default border)

<meta name="Microsoft Border" content="none">  (unique border ?)

I discovered the best way to remove the unique borders was to search for "Microsoft Border" and replace with (nothing).  Not sure if it's the wrong way to do this, but it seemed to remove all the remaining borders just fine.  Do you think this is wrong?

Ruby B
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:42 PM
  •  <meta name="Microsoft Border" content="t">  is indeed a "unique" border.

<meta name="Microsoft Border" content="none">  is also a "unique" border configuration - it means the page does not have any shared borders.

<meta name="Microsoft Border" content="t, default">   is the default border - any page that is not "unique" will have this set up.

Removing the entire meta tag from the pages will remove the shared borders as well, when the page is saved or by running Tools->Recalculate Hyperlinks.
    But, removing just "Microsoft Border" will leave you with
    <meta name="" content="t"> which is an invalid bit of HTML, though it does remove the borders.
    If this has happened, you could search for
    name=""
    and replace with
    name="oldBorder"
    This makes the meta tag valid, but useless,( <meta name="oldBorder" content="t"> ) and the tag can then be removed at your leisure as you edit the pages. Be careful though - there may be other places where name="" is actually needed.

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 3:06 PM
  • Thanks for the heads up.  I'll check this out.
    Ruby B
    Friday, July 15, 2011 2:13 PM