Server Side or Client Side RRS feed

• Question

• I need a method to make a calculation based on information that is on 3 different entities. So I wonder if the best option would be to do this server side or client side?

Now my gratitude.
    Monday, July 13, 2009 2:33 PM

Answers

• That would depend:

- Do you know if the PC's the visitors work on have enough performance for these calculations?

- Is there any danger when the calculations are changed (hacking it would be easy if it's in Silverlight)? Or is anything depending on these calculations?

- Is the server performance an issue?

- What entities are you referring to? WebServices?

Monday, July 13, 2009 2:39 PM
  • Hello, Rob.

- Based on performance I will choose to use the mode Server Side.

- When I said the authorities were talking of entities of the ADO.NET Entity.

- For the connection I'm using RIA Services.

- After the calculations are done server side, I can create a class specifically to provide data on the client?

Cheers!

Eduardo
    Monday, July 13, 2009 4:49 PM
  • Based on my experience, the calculations are preferred on the client side where ever possible.

Why sould we do complex calculations on the serverside (Time factor) and then serialize them(pay load factor) to the client, if the same calculation can be done on the client side, unless there are other objectives as well.

Thanks

Jac

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:18 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:56 AM

All replies

• That would depend:

- Do you know if the PC's the visitors work on have enough performance for these calculations?

- Is there any danger when the calculations are changed (hacking it would be easy if it's in Silverlight)? Or is anything depending on these calculations?

- Is the server performance an issue?

- What entities are you referring to? WebServices?

Monday, July 13, 2009 2:39 PM
  • Hello, Rob.

- Based on performance I will choose to use the mode Server Side.

- When I said the authorities were talking of entities of the ADO.NET Entity.

- For the connection I'm using RIA Services.

- After the calculations are done server side, I can create a class specifically to provide data on the client?

Cheers!

Eduardo
    Monday, July 13, 2009 4:49 PM
  • Based on my experience, the calculations are preferred on the client side where ever possible.

Why sould we do complex calculations on the serverside (Time factor) and then serialize them(pay load factor) to the client, if the same calculation can be done on the client side, unless there are other objectives as well.

Thanks

Jac

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:18 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:56 AM