[MS-TDS] COLMETADATA Flags Documentation Bug RRS feed

• General discussion

• There appears to be slight error in the COLMETADATA (2.2.7.4) documentation under the "Token Stream Parameter Details" section. The list of flag descriptions are prefaced with "Bit flags in least significant bit order:" but the first two are out of order.

Secifically, fNullable is the least significant bit, but is listed second, and fCaseSen is the second least significant bit, but is listed first. This was causing me some confusion.

The Flags section of "Token Stream-Specific Rules" on the same page is in the correct order as far as I can tell.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 5:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Bret:

I have alerted the open specifications team regarding your inquiry. A member of the team will be in touch soon.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 3:10 PM
  • Hello Bret, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open specifications

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 7:08 PM
  • Hello Bret,
    fNullable is the least significant bit. Text description for field Flags will be revised so that fNullable shows first (see below). Let us know if this answers your question.

The size of the Flags parameter is always fixed at 16 bits regardless of the TDS version. Each of the 16 bits of the Flags parameter is interpreted based on the TDS version negotiated during login. Bit flags in least significant bit order:

•  fNullable is a bit flag. Its value is 1 if the column is nullable.
    •  fCaseSen is a bit flag. Set to 1 for string columns with binary collation and always for the XML data type. Set to 0 otherwise.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open specifications

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 2:18 PM
  • Yep, that's all I was trying to point out so that the documentation gets fixes. Thanks.
    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 5:01 AM