none
Capturing on/off boot traces for NEW users (new profiles) ? RRS feed

• Question

• Background:  Using the latest WPA 6.x from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29929

How would I go about creating an on/off-boot recording in addition to capturing the login time for a new user?  I would like to capture the delays caused by Windows creating new user profiles.  In my testing, when I start a trace using Administrator, reboot to start the process, then try to login with a "new" user, the WPA does not automatically resume tracing.  I'm assuming it expects to be logged in with Administrator again.  Can I just find Administrator's autoruns command and run it manually for the new user?

My situation is a computer lab environment at a school.  When students login, Windows has to create their user profile for them.  I'm trying to minimize the login time by trying to avoid the time consuming (disk intensive) default-user-profile copy creation step.  I don't want to use roaming profiles.  And there are 3rd party solutions that can create a "shared" profile for all users (including new ones), but I would like to avoid this too by switching to a built-in alternative or free solution if possible.

thanks for any tips,

Scott

• Edited by Scott Copus Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:31 PM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:22 PM

All replies

• xbootmgr should give you a UAC prompt when you login as a regular new user.  It's run by the machine windows run registry key.

Active Setup in the registry is probably a big part of the delay, assuming your Default profile is under 40 megs.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:49 PM