none
Visio 2016 cannot open Workflows from SharePoint Designer 2013

Question

• I am working with SharePoint Online. There are a few lists with SharePoint 2013 Workflows. I have Visio Pro 2016 and SharePoint Designer 2013 both 64-bit installed.

When I open a workflow in SharePoint Designer the Export to Visio button is disabled.  If I click on Views -> Visual Designer, I get an error message that says, "To use Visual Designer you need to use the same version of Visio Professional which matches SharePoint Designer".  If I hover over the disabled Export to Visio button, a popup shows up that says, "To export to Visio, you need to use the version of Visio Professional that matches the version of SharePoint Designer that you're using."

Visio 2013 is no longer available for download from Microsoft.  For SharePoint Online 2013 and 2016, SharePoint Designer 2013 will remain to support both.  So, something is not working right here.  I need this functionality to work because some of the workflows are very complicated to analyze in simple text.

Any work-arounds or patches?  I've got the latest updates on all the Office apps.

Saturday, May 21, 2016 7:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I understand in your scenario you actually need Visio 2013.

I suggest you contact the retailer to ask if it's possible to have a refund and then purchase Visio 2013. If it's not possible to get the information from the retailer, you can just contact the customer service as I suggested above, ask whether you can have a refund.

Anyway as a forum support I can't promise, but please do as I suggested to check if it could help.

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Wednesday, May 25, 2016 2:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I understand that we are a bit stuck in this scenario.

As suggested, we have to use the same version of Visio an SharePoint Designer. However, SharePoint Designer 2013 is the latest version and we have to use Visio 2013 here.

May I know what is your license for Visio? Technically I don't have much to suggest, I'm now trying to figure out a way for you to find Visio 2013.

Regards,

Melon Chen

Monday, May 23, 2016 1:07 PM
  • It's a retail license of Visio.

My client end up giving me a Visio 2013 license which I find it a waste since I already have one.  Anyways, this does need to be corrected because people going forward will most likely be purchasing Visio 2016.

Monday, May 23, 2016 3:57 PM
  • Hi,

I'd like to know in detail, is it a license for 2013 or the 2016 version? If it's a 2013 version and you can't find the download link of it, I suggest you contact the local customer service and ask if you can be offered with a download:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/customer-service-phone-numbers/en-us

I can see if users choose the higher version of Visio, there could be a conflict with SharePoint Designer 2013, I'll submit a feedback for this issue.

Thank you for focusing on our products.

Regards,

Melon Chen

Monday, May 23, 2016 4:04 PM
  • The one I purchased was specific for Visio Professional 2016. I purchased this version thinking that it's Visio and a newer version (not that I had an option to buy 2013), it should work but no.
    Monday, May 23, 2016 4:28 PM
  • Hi,

I understand in your scenario you actually need Visio 2013.

I suggest you contact the retailer to ask if it's possible to have a refund and then purchase Visio 2013. If it's not possible to get the information from the retailer, you can just contact the customer service as I suggested above, ask whether you can have a refund.

Anyway as a forum support I can't promise, but please do as I suggested to check if it could help.

Regards,

Melon Chen

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 2:14 AM
  • The issue mentioned here and in other threads are already a year old, and I was wondering if there was by now, perhaps a permanent solution like a patch by Microsoft?

I have a new laptop with Office2016 and I just realized that SPD2013 does not work with Visio2016.

Anyway, I cannot imagine that Microsoft would still advise (after the issue was communicated a year ago) to downgrade Visio to 2013 version.
    What is the workaround, patch or solution by Microsoft?

I am not keen to de-install Office2016 and downgrade, or get an older laptop with Office2013.

(Installing older Office versions on my new laptop with Office2016 is unfortunately not possible due to Company IT policies)

I hope Microsoft has a solution for this seriously frustrating problem.

• Edited by AA052530 Monday, March 06, 2017 1:02 PM
    Monday, March 06, 2017 1:01 PM
  • This is an issue, but I don't hold much hope as Microsoft seems to have given up on SPD users, and everybody else that doesn't use Visual Studio....
    Monday, March 20, 2017 11:48 PM