How I can reinstall the Tablet from the Command Line RRS feed

• Question

• There is a hidden Install.wim file in the Volume named "Pusch Button Reset". can I reinsall from this file?
    Friday, October 7, 2011 10:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• Motte1966,

That partition volume is for Refresh or Reset your PC options. Refresh your PC is reinstallation the OS without affecting user data, personalization settings, and their Windows Metro style apps. 3rd Party applications need to be reinstalled. Windows will create HTML file called "Removed Apps" on desktop with a list of all of the desktop applications that will need to be reinstalled.

Reset your PC will delete all data and reinstall OS with all settings back to the factory defaults.

You can access these settings in Metro style or Desktop Control Panel. You can also access these settings by holding Windows button on tablet while powering on the device. You will get blue screen with three options, tap on troubleshooting and then choose Reset or Refresh your PC.  To my knowledge, there is no Command line to reinstall from that file.  The best way to Reset or Refresh your PC if you can't get into Windows Developer Preview is to hold down Windows button at bottom of tablet while powering on the device.

Friday, October 7, 2011 2:17 PM
    Answerer
  • I acquired the tablet from another developer who sold it;  I'm anxious to dig in and start trying to port some of our simpler apps, but I don't have the admin password for the device.  I'm waiting to hear back from the person I bought it from, but is there a way with the Samsung tablet to boot from the USB, ignoring existing account info, so I can wipe out what's on the SSD and reinstall from scratch?

Friday, October 7, 2011 6:20 PM
  • Andy,

The best for you is hold down Windows button at bottom of tablet while powering on the device.   You will get blue screen with three options, tap on troubleshooting and then choose Reset your PC.  That will erase all data and reinstall Windows Developer Preview with default settings.

Friday, October 7, 2011 6:54 PM
    Answerer
  • Hey Eric;  thanks for the response.  I've been trying that, but whichever option I select, it asks me to enter the password for the sole administrator account on the device (the person I purchased it from, which I do not have).  I can't get past that part.

Is there any way around having to have the original admin account/password?  I'm still waiting to hear back from the guy I bought it from, but I was hoping for a workaround...

Thanks again for your help!

Andy

Friday, October 7, 2011 7:23 PM
  • There is no way around accounts (other than reinstall).

Thanks,
    Darren

Monday, October 10, 2011 2:20 PM