Vista Dll manifests RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

when writing manifests for a c# application, which dlls need to have a manifest added?

i.e.

Do system dlls need a manifest ... System.Windows.Forms.dll ect?

Do third party controls dlls i.e syncfusion Essential Tools ect?

thanks,

ali.

Friday, October 19, 2007 10:38 AM

All replies

• You only need to manifest the application executable. Dlls are loaded into a process and thus gain the permission level of that process.

Friday, October 19, 2007 3:52 PM
  • if some of the forms in a dll have controls that require administrator, does this dll need to have a manifest and those forms need to be elevated, or does the whole application need to be elevated?

Thanks,

Ali.

Monday, October 22, 2007 9:46 AM
  • You can't elevate "a dll", so either your entire application needs to be marked as requireAdministrator or you need to use COM elevation or launch a second process to elevate only parts of an application.

Monday, October 22, 2007 9:50 AM
  • If i have a form with a button, which launches a new form which does admin things...

do i have to create the new form in an elevated new process?

If i do this, when i close this form can i pass information back to the original form? or does that violate the UIAccess = False condition?

I need the app to be vista logo compliant.

Thanks for your help,

Ali.

Monday, October 22, 2007 11:48 AM
  •  allison_h wrote:

I need the app to be vista logo compliant.

To meet Vista logo requirements, you'll need to use COM elevation to perform the Administrative task (since it is a Logo requirement that executables other than the installer are manifested asInvoker). Ideally you should have the form running under normal privileges and then create an elevated COM object to perform the form's actions once the user has commited to the action (pressing the OK button or whatever).

Monday, October 22, 2007 12:55 PM